Tank straps for BP -- scubapro or Halcyon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

assuming that I know what you are all discussing I've
been using the Halcyon SS buckles for more than one
year (since I fell at a local dive site and shattered some
cheezy plastic buckles) and have NOT had a problem
with them "coming apart".

After placing them on the strap I placed the buckles in
a table mounted vice and "crimped" them tight.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Yes that is correct... but... Halcyon is coming out with the new SS buckle that doesn't come apart as soon as they can dump... er... get done selling... hmmm... as soon as they are available.

I'd wait or at least inquire.

Gee Uncle, you're letting the cat outta the bag. :)

For what it's worth, I have some of the newer Halcyonn buckles that don't (officially) exist, which I someone ended up with. (Consider this a plug for the great customer service at Halcyon!).

Having tried all three of the Halcyon buckle designs, it's my informed opinion that the new style (not yet released publically) is their best.

The first is the standard Delrin tank buckle you get with most BCs. Don't bother with it, as mine broke on the 2nd dive I used it. (Luckily, it wasn't being used to hold my tank onto my BC). Interestingly enough, my wife's old sherwood BC had a similar looking buckle, and it's still fine. Hope the Ebayer likes it. :)

I've got two of the 'current style' two-piece buckles on my Pioneer setup, and they work OK, although I think they're a pain in the rear to get setup on my tank initially. (I'm using singles, so I switch tanks on every dive). Once they're on the tank and tightened up, they rock!

The 'future style' buckles are just like the Delrin buckles, except they're made out of SS. I stuck these on my wife's Pioneer setup, and they're easier to use. They're just like the Delrin setup, but you can tighten them up without worrying about them breaking, so they have all the advantages of both the Delrin (ease of use) and the SS buckles (bulletproof).

As a final note, I've also got a *really* old ScubaPro stab jacket with the SP strap. I consider the SP strap as good (if not better) than the Halcyon strap. As others have pointed out, it's got the rubber/grippy thing on it. I find the SP strap easier to tighten on the tank, vs. the Halcyon setup.

If it were me, I'd go with the SP strap unless you can get the Halcyon straps with the new-style buckles.

Although, I am still using the old-style Halcyon strap/buckles on my gear, so I'm not motivated enough to switch out straps, so that may tell you something.

Nate

I have the Scubapro strap on my stab jacket and really like it, easy to use, never slips once properly set, and adjustment free.

However, I recently managed to catch my flag line under it on one dive and my buddy said he needed to release the strap to free the line. So any techdiver who is fanatically eliminating all entanglement points might want to consider that.

Looking at the buckle, I can see how it can easily catch a line, I'm not sure that the buckle must be opened to release it. However, it is an awkward spot to reach.

Ralph

Took another look at the strap on a tank tonight and I can easily see how a line could become trapped, requiring the buckle to be at minimum partly released to free the line.

Ralph

Originally posted by rcohn
Looking at the buckle, I can see how it can easily catch a line, I'm not sure that the buckle must be opened to release it. However, it is an awkward spot to reach.

Ralph, you've convinced me. I also checked out my buckles, and I have to agree with the entanglement issue.

I hereby rescind my recommendation of the ScubaPro strap/buckles, due to entanglement hazards. I have enough problems with my shoelaces (Hi UP!), I don't need more entanglement issues. ;-)

If it were me, I would try to scam a set of new Halcyon buckles.

Nate

I don't think there is a better strap and buckle than the scubapro. If entanglement is a problem, cover the buckle with duct tape after you put it on your tank.

A friend of mine has the S-pro ones and I just put on a set of the Halcyon. I could have gone either way, but I do really like the Halcyon ones.

JoelW

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Nate... do you have the velcro tab on the end of your shoe laces? [/B]

There's nothing on my laces. The only velcro I have is on the back of the rockboots themselves. Why, do you have velcro on your laces? (The drysuit is only 3 months old, so I'd be suprised/disappointed if they've recently come out with velcro on the laces.)

Nate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom