Tank Standard For NE Diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MudDog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
What size/type of tanks does one generally find divers using on NE dive boats? Is there a more or less standard size being used or does one see everything from single and double AL80s to single and double E8 or X8 130s?

I have searched the board and found some posts with recommendations for specific divers but not this more general information.

While kind of a politically incorrect concept among DIR divers, I was also wondering if you see many people diving independent doubles? It would fulfill what I have read to be many NJ boat's pony requirement, but in a somewhat more balanced fashion. (ex two X7-100s). Just curious.

Thanks!

Using standard and NE diving in the same sentence is an oxymoron.

With that said, you see all types of doubles, ranging from Al 80s right on through the biggest Faber, Worthington, and PST tanks. I don't think I've ever seen a Heiser.

Among the things you'll want to consider are how deep, how long, and will the boat allow a single set of doubles - you may find that 80s won't be enough for two dives. Also what exposure protection you're wearing. Some drysuit divers like the heavier steel tanks because they allow less weight on the belt.

I do see independent doubles, but less of them than manifolded doubles by far.

Henryville:
Using standard and NE diving in the same sentence is an oxymoron.
:)

Thank you Henryville...I really appreciate your help (and enjoyed your above "critique" :) ).

Funny enough, I saw my first set of "triples" yesterday - double Al80s (manifolded) with an Al 40 mounted between them on its own reg. I just didn't have the energy to ask "why?" He was a solo diver so that must have had something to do with it.

Henryville:
Funny enough, I saw my first set of "triples" yesterday - double Al80s (manifolded) with an Al 40 mounted between them on its own reg. I just didn't have the energy to ask "why?" He was a solo diver so that must have had something to do with it.

An AL40 mounted between double 80s, hmmm.... I guess that falls into the category of: "if you got'em, dive'em:. :)

Henryville...if I might ask, what do you generally use or recommend for NE diving (w/ drysuit)? Also...apart from doubles...regarding singles, do you have a preference betwen (E7/X7)-120s and (E8/X8)-130s? Do you find one to be more common than the other?

Thank you again!

That was haw we all our pony bottles mounted back in the day - about 10 years ago in the 90's. This was before Billy Deans started to teach his methods and we changed to calling them stage bottles and cliping them to our harnesses. You will still see it done this way evry now and them, especialy by the guys who still dive independent doubles.

By the way - back mounted pony's do work better when you know you will be bellying into the mud working on an artifact. Keeps the bottle and reg out of the mud.

There you go fellows, from a guy who probably has done more dives than all of us put together, and when the gear was probably a lot less "friendly" than it is now. Thanks for sharing that with us, Gilldiver!

As to your question MudDog, I don't consider myself an expert, but if I dive singles I'm doing it in Japan where I can't get doubles, and then it's weird tank sizes, or I'm in some warm destination doing wetuit reef diving and renting an Al 80. I personally wouldn't do the dives I do in the northeast on singles, but that's just me. I like the redundancy and flexibility in doubles and I've worked pretty hard to get good at using them. I have 6 sets - 3 Al 80s that I use with nitrox for shallower dives <130, lp95s, lp 108s, and E8-130s. Choice of which set depends on depth, mostly. It's no fun to have to toss out 1/3 of a $120 trimix fill 'cause it was more gas then you needed, same as it's not much fun to be limited to one set by the boat, then end up with a short second dive because the tanks weren't big enough.

I never dove the E7120s so I can't help you there, although I was intrigued by the size of the older low pressure version and almost bought some because I thought they might be good for a tall person, being longer like they are. I heard from a couple of tall folks that they thought this trimmed well. I like the E8-130s and the old 104s, but I have never dove either as a single.

I dive all of these doubles in a drysuit, although the al 80s can require a good bit of extra weight. In salt for these I use a 12 pound plate, an 8 lb v weight plus 4 lb on my belt.

Bottom line, the best thing to do is to borrow some from a shop or another diver, and try them in a pool or maybe a quarry where you can really focus on how they feel in the water. You'll obviously need to add weight going to salt and distribute it right, but it's actually not hard too do this with a backplate setup, for example using a heavier plate, a weighted STA, or a p-weight.

What have you guys used and why do you like it/what don't you like about it?

Henryville makes some excellent points.

I do dive E7-120's. The bottom line is that you need to use tanks suitable to your needs. I'm big, thus more mass to push through the water. I will probably switch to doubles next year for cave diving training. My instructor talked me out of moving to doubles for wreck diving. That's another 50lbs to pull out of the water! Add to that 6ft seas and you are in for an adventure...:D

I'm currently diving a BP/W with a 6lb stainless plate and an 8lb semi V weight. I still carry 10lbs on my belt. (old wetsuit) I have a set of Faber 95's, but prefer the old 120's.

It's always better to pack extra gas, however, a 120 and a 40cf stage bottle will do everything that you need to do. If you haven't already, start checking your SAC rate. It will give you a better idea on how big a tank is sufficient.

Since everything is focused on team diving concepts, diving doubles allows for sufficient gas for two people in the event of a problem. Usually, while used, independent doubles do add to task loading if something happens with your primary reg/valve config.

Good luck and happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom