Tank Slippage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HaoleDiver:
This may just be me being cynical, but did anyone else read the start of this thread and think "This sounds like a commercial."? I've been on just over 100 dives, and have helped a number of classes, and the few times we've had tanks slip, its always just been a matter of a band being too loose, or dry when applied. I always wet the bands on my Zeagle Ranger or ScubaPro GlidePlus, and have never had trouble with it, no extra gadgets needed, didnt need to spend any extra money. When I strap either on, its not so tight that a young child couldn't do it (in fact I've let a friend's 10-yr old daughter help me and she's done it fine) and I never get slippage, with the single strap on the SP or the double straps on the Zeagle.
With problems like tank slippage (and most dive problems in general), I think its often a matter of user error, not equipment failure.

Hi Haolediver,

I didn't start this thread and don't know the fellow who did, but I do offer a solution to a fairly common problem. One only need spend a few hours at a popular dive site to see tanks slipping.

I'd be the first to say that our pads aren't vital, a "must have" for everyone. Thousands of tanks are successfully secured everyday, probably 1000's even as I type this. How do they do it? Good technique, good equipment, sufficient strenght etc.

Our pads do function as claimed, do make tank retention easier, and do reduce both the load on the buckle and the closing force necessary. Just an inexpensive fix to a common problem.

Regards,

Tobin

Sounds likie Cool_hardware does have a good solution; I don't much care whether he's/she's got a commercial interest. Having said that, all too often new sucba divers, when faced with a problem, rely on a new gizmo/gadget instead of correcting what is usually a technique issue. That's why we see so many divers over-weighted, or wearing ankle weights needlessly, or putting out the $$ for the new Bio-lock (or cool_hardware's solution).

After a couple hundred beach dives, I'm convinced that there's no real need to wet the strap or for any of the ancillary gadgets to hold the tank securely. At the same time, there's no real harm to it; it's their $$!

I didnt mean to insult anyone with my observation, it was just that the tone of the posting was not your typical informal posting, it seemed more scripted (I read press releases all day, so I watch for it).
That being said, I'm sure the pads do help, but I too have found that a correctly used tank band does the trick. I do wet my straps before I put them on, partly out of a habit to set a proper example for students when I help classes, and partly because I have seen two or three situations where I checked a tank strap of a buddy on land, but when we got wet, it started to slip, so I chalked it up to needing to wet the band, and do it to this day.
And about students overweighting, thats not necessarily a choice they have, a nervous student in a new wetsuit and an unfamiliar environment is not going to relax and exhale enough to properly drop, so more weight is needed, and that weight often drops away as they become familiar with the gear and their environment.
My only issue with something like a tank pad is that if a student uses one, then goes off to Belize where they dont have them, and doesnt know to properly tighten the strap (because he hasnt had to) and doesnt know to wet it, you could end up with damaged divers or coral real quick. Its all a matter of making sure a gadget is not used in place of proper training/ability/skill.

HaoleDiver:
I didnt mean to insult anyone with my observation, it was just that the tone of the posting was not your typical informal posting, it seemed more scripted (I read press releases all day, so I watch for it).
That being said, I'm sure the pads do help, but I too have found that a correctly used tank band does the trick. I do wet my straps before I put them on, partly out of a habit to set a proper example for students when I help classes, and partly because I have seen two or three situations where I checked a tank strap of a buddy on land, but when we got wet, it started to slip, so I chalked it up to needing to wet the band, and do it to this day.
And about students overweighting, thats not necessarily a choice they have, a nervous student in a new wetsuit and an unfamiliar environment is not going to relax and exhale enough to properly drop, so more weight is needed, and that weight often drops away as they become familiar with the gear and their environment.
My only issue with something like a tank pad is that if a student uses one, then goes off to Belize where they dont have them, and doesnt know to properly tighten the strap (because he hasnt had to) and doesnt know to wet it, you could end up with damaged divers or coral real quick. Its all a matter of making sure a gadget is not used in place of proper training/ability/skill.

Haolediver,

I'm not insulted, I agree this thread did have the feel of a "hanging curveball". Sometimes you just get luckly.

I also agree that students should be taught correctly, and not rely on "crutches". Having said that I see no harm in using or selling for that matter a "gadget" that makes life easier.

Once we achieve worldwide domination of the scuba industry our pads will be mandated on all BC's anyway........:D

Regards,

Tobin

HaoleDiver:
This may just be me being cynical, but did anyone else read the start of this thread and think "This sounds like a commercial."? I've been on just over 100 dives, and have helped a number of classes, and the few times we've had tanks slip, its always just been a matter of a band being too loose, or dry when applied. I always wet the bands on my Zeagle Ranger or ScubaPro GlidePlus, and have never had trouble with it, no extra gadgets needed, didnt need to spend any extra money. When I strap either on, its not so tight that a young child couldn't do it (in fact I've let a friend's 10-yr old daughter help me and she's done it fine) and I never get slippage, with the single strap on the SP or the double straps on the Zeagle.
With problems like tank slippage (and most dive problems in general), I think its often a matter of user error, not equipment failure.

Well, I'm glad to hear that in your experience this is a non-issue. As an instructor, former DM, and all-around scuba junkie, I see the tank slippage situation a bit more often than I'd like to. And it's not always related to technique.

Not all webbing is created equal. Nor do all BCD buckles work equally well. As with all things in life, you get what you pay for ... and your Zeagle and ScubaPro products command a hefty price.

I've known people with less expensive BCDs to have occasional problems no matter how hard they reef down on their straps, or whether or not they wet them first.

I see Tobin's product as a less expensive alternative for these people than, say, a trade-in for a new BCD.

I said earlier in the thread that I gave one to a friend who has a chronic problem with tank slippage. Her problem isn't induced by a lack of technique ... it's induced by a lack of strength, which is a result of chemo treatments in her not-too-distant past. Should she eschew diving ... or be reliant on someone to set up her gear ... when for a few bucks she can purchase a product that solves the problem? I don't think so.

Hey, this product works. I know, because I contacted Tobin and asked him to send me some to try out with students and other divers I know who might benefit from them. I withheld any judgment about these things till I tried them myself. I have no commercial interest in Tobin's success.

If you don't need 'em, great ... some others might find them useful. And for sure he ain't getting rich selling them ... have you looked at what he's charging for these things?

I'm sure most of us pay way more for stuff that the majority of divers can live without ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom