Tank Slippage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisS:
I've never had a problem with tank slippage. Doesn't wetting the strap and adjusting it so it's tight keep the tank in place?
Depends on the BC. Sometimes you wet them and make it tight and still have a problem.

Great idea Tobin. I gave one of your tension pads to a friend of mine who has had chronic problems tensioning down her tank strap. At any rate, we dove together this week-end and the pad held her cylinder securely even though she didn't have the tank strap very tight.

These are great for the recreational diver with single-strap BCD ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Great idea Tobin. I gave one of your tension pads to a friend of mine who has had chronic problems tensioning down her tank strap. At any rate, we dove together this week-end and the pad held her cylinder securely even though she didn't have the tank strap very tight.

These are great for the recreational diver with single-strap BCD ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for the feedback Bob.

Regards,

Tobin

I'm having a similar problem with my Pro QD+. It will sometimes slip. I will have to check out cool_hardware52's store. Thanks for the thread.

murphdivers286:
I'm having a similar problem with my Pro QD+. It will sometimes slip. I will have to check out cool_hardware52's store. Thanks for the thread.

Hmmmm... very interesting, as I have the Pro QD+ as well. I LOVE this BC, but had this slippage problem the first couple dives - once it slipped down to the back of my knees - talk about looking like a rookie! :dontgetit . I've since tightened down pretty tight, but often worry if I might be stressing the strap/buckle. 'Looked at the web link - very impressive & resonably priced. My only concern is figuring out how to reassemble the buckle after I thread the pads on.

I used to get some slippage when I first started using my Zeagle Ranger - wetting the straps cured the problem at the time. Now, however, no slippage - even with dry straps. My totally uneducated theory is that the inner surface of the straps have been roughed up just enough to develop good adhesion.

I used to struggle with the same thing, and my first response was 1) always wet the strap and 2) Get an extra strap....then someone taught me how to assemble and tighten the strap properly and I've never had a problem since. More impressively, we teach our students this way and I've never seen a student have a problem either! Adjusting the strap to differently sized tanks used to be a hassle, but it's not amymore. You'd have thought I would have learned this in my OW or AOW classes, but I hadn't, until I took a Rescue class from a different shop.

To get a tank band that won't slip without wetting or special add-on gear all you do is:

1) Unstrap the belt completely, or at least from the last slot. The buckle has three slots in it. Bend it backward, so it's pointing towards the BC. The strap goes first through the middle slot, then through the inner slot (the one closest to where the strap meets the buckle). Don't thread it through the last (outermost) slot yet.

2) With the BC facing you and your feet on each side of the bottom of the tank, put the bc on the tank to the proper height (the "U" in the shoulder straps should be level with the top of the tank valve). Hold the BC temporarily in place with your knees on each side of the tank & BC.

3) Pull the strap tight with your left hand, then rock the buckle o the left just a bit to maintain tension. Repeat once more ... you should be able to get ALL the slack out of the strap without having to wet it. Remember to hold the tension by rocking the buckle slightly to the left after you're done.

4) Slip the belt through the last (outermost) slot in the buckle and pull to the left, snapping it tight.

5) To make sure it won't slip pick up the BC & shake a bit ... the tank won't slip at all if you've done this properly. The tension will overcome any stretching in the belt when it gets wet.

MyDiveLog:
I used to struggle with the same thing, and my first response was 1) always wet the strap and 2) Get an extra strap....then someone taught me how to assemble and tighten the strap properly and I've never had a problem since. More impressively, we teach our students this way and I've never seen a student have a problem either! Adjusting the strap to differently sized tanks used to be a hassle, but it's not amymore. You'd have thought I would have learned this in my OW or AOW classes, but I hadn't, until I took a Rescue class from a different shop.

To get a tank band that won't slip without wetting or special add-on gear all you do is:

1) Unstrap the belt completely, or at least from the last slot. The buckle has three slots in it. Bend it backward, so it's pointing towards the BC. The strap goes first through the middle slot, then through the inner slot (the one closest to where the strap meets the buckle). Don't thread it through the last (outermost) slot yet.

2) With the BC facing you and your feet on each side of the bottom of the tank, put the bc on the tank to the proper height (the "U" in the shoulder straps should be level with the top of the tank valve). Hold the BC temporarily in place with your knees on each side of the tank & BC.

3) Pull the strap tight with your left hand, then rock the buckle o the left just a bit to maintain tension. Repeat once more ... you should be able to get ALL the slack out of the strap without having to wet it. Remember to hold the tension by rocking the buckle slightly to the left after you're done.

4) Slip the belt through the last (outermost) slot in the buckle and pull to the left, snapping it tight.

5) To make sure it won't slip pick up the BC & shake a bit ... the tank won't slip at all if you've done this properly. The tension will overcome any stretching in the belt when it gets wet.

Or..........Slip on one of my pads :D

Regards,

Tobin

michaelp68:
I had some tank slippage problems that I'd been battling for a while until I tried the cam strap tension pads sent to me by Scuba Board member Cool_Hardware.

THANK YOU, Cool_Hardware.

It's a product that worked and worked well.

I put them on my BC while watching tv one night last week and finally had a chance to dive this past Saturday. It was nice to dive without any slippage at all, finally. It's been such a headache worrying about the slippage on every dive, and it was so relaxing to have a dive where there was no slippage, whatsoever.

Thanks again, Cool_Hardware, for a good product.

Michael

This may just be me being cynical, but did anyone else read the start of this thread and think "This sounds like a commercial."? I've been on just over 100 dives, and have helped a number of classes, and the few times we've had tanks slip, its always just been a matter of a band being too loose, or dry when applied. I always wet the bands on my Zeagle Ranger or ScubaPro GlidePlus, and have never had trouble with it, no extra gadgets needed, didnt need to spend any extra money. When I strap either on, its not so tight that a young child couldn't do it (in fact I've let a friend's 10-yr old daughter help me and she's done it fine) and I never get slippage, with the single strap on the SP or the double straps on the Zeagle.
With problems like tank slippage (and most dive problems in general), I think its often a matter of user error, not equipment failure.

HaoleDiver:
This may just be me being cynical, but did anyone else read the start of this thread and think "This sounds like a commercial."? I've been on just over 100 dives, and have helped a number of classes, and the few times we've had tanks slip, its always just been a matter of a band being too loose, or dry when applied. I always wet the bands on my Zeagle Ranger or ScubaPro GlidePlus, and have never had trouble with it, no extra gadgets needed, didnt need to spend any extra money. When I strap either on, its not so tight that a young child couldn't do it (in fact I've let a friend's 10-yr old daughter help me and she's done it fine) and I never get slippage, with the single strap on the SP or the double straps on the Zeagle.
With problems like tank slippage (and most dive problems in general), I think its often a matter of user error, not equipment failure.

Kinda, but I believe he's a real diver (PM'd a couple times, but never got to dive with). I've always had the impression that tank slippage seems to be a totally karma thing. I have double DiveRite tank bands, never had to wet them and my tanks have always been solid as a rock. I've seen others wet bands, ratchet the strap/buckle, pull until red in the face, then watch their tank slowly slip down when they test the tightness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom