Tank Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have just sold my HP 100 steel tanks in Australia in preparation for moving back to Norcal in January. I am on the verge of ordering a HP 80 steel to use for Monterey shore dives. I thought I should get a few second opinions before placing the order.

I am a fairly large diver with a low SAC rate. I found that unless I was doing a long (over one hour) or deep (over 30 meters) dive I would always end the dive with a half tank of air left. I am pushing fifty and like the idea of carrying 8-9 pounds less weight on my back.

I realize the HP 100 offer greater flexibility, but is the HP 80 a reasonable choice for Monterey dives?

I would say for the most part yes.

IIRC the last time I averaged my SAC rate it was .57 or so, and I dive HP 100's. Most of my dives are in the 60 to 90fsw range and I average about 52minutes for those dives. Or so says my logging software. Generally I return with 1000psi +/- 200. Granted this doesn't account for buddies needing to turn back sooner, etc.

I guess really the thing with Monterey is there are plenty of sites with cool stuff to see that arent within the 60fsw or less range, and there are also plenty where you can go far too deep. It really comes down to what you like, if cool underwater structure is your thing then you will find yourself going deeper over time, if you are into more of the underwater life then probably not as deep.

Hopefully that helps some.

I would say for the most part yes.

IIRC the last time I averaged my SAC rate it was .57 or so, and I dive HP 100's. Most of my dives are in the 60 to 90fsw range and I average about 52minutes for those dives. Or so says my logging software. Generally I return with 1000psi +/- 200. Granted this doesn't account for buddies needing to turn back sooner, etc.

I guess really the thing with Monterey is there are plenty of sites with cool stuff to see that arent within the 60fsw or less range, and there are also plenty where you can go far too deep. It really comes down to what you like, if cool underwater structure is your thing then you will find yourself going deeper over time, if you are into more of the underwater life then probably not as deep.

Hopefully that helps some.

It does help. BTW, I don't expect to use one tank for all my California diving for the rest of my life. I just don't want to make a foolish initial purchase.

Im not sure what the price difference is between HP80 and HP100's but I would guess its fairly close? Personally I went HP100 initially and have not regretted it.

How tall are you? HP80s are extremely short tanks, and most people, they can prove to be too short and head-heavy.

Personally, I would recommend a HP100, or if you really don't need the gas, something smaller but longer, e.g. LP85, LP72, etc...

If you are short (under 5' 9") then the HP 80's will be fine. I am 6' 1'' and I find the HP 80's a little to short and my center of gravity is off when I use them. I like the HP 100's the best. I am 47 years old and I understand the weight issue--especially for shore diving. If the 100's are too heavy (or stop you from doing dives you would have done in the past) then go with the 80. Whatever gets you in the water. As with RHLEE I'd look for a longer tank before I made my final decision. There are lots of tank choices now.

I do most of my diving at depths where air is more limiting than bottom time, so I prefer LP120s. They're hella heavy but it's worth it.

One thing I'd consider living here on the Peninsula below SF, others can chime in if it doesn't generalize well: I have a hard time finding shops that will even fill to rated pressure, cold, on AL80s. One I won't name filled my 2640 LPs to 2100, my HPs to 2900. I switched from HP120s to LP because I never got a cold fill higher than 3200 psi, except on regular trips on the liveaboard Peace boat, down in the Channel Islands. I know the gauge is accurate.

LP 85's are a bit cheaper and easier to fill.... I would go with those to save a little.
+1! If you are looking for tanks that trim out nicely, forget the HP80s -- they are going to suck for trim unless you are very short (like 5'0" or less).

The Faber LP-85s are smaller than AL80s, hold more gas, are easier to get fills, still have great buoyancy (approx. neutral nearly empty including the valve), and aren't the backbreakers some of the larger tanks are. If you are doing shore dives around Monterey and don't want the big heavy tanks, its hard to go wrong with the white Faber LP-85s.

+1! If you are looking for tanks that trim out nicely, forget the HP80s -- they are going to suck for trim unless you are very short (like 5'0" or less).

The Faber LP-85s are smaller than AL80s, hold more gas, are easier to get fills, still have great buoyancy (approx. neutral nearly empty including the valve), and aren't the backbreakers some of the larger tanks are. If you are doing shore dives around Monterey and don't want the big heavy tanks, its hard to go wrong with the white Faber LP-85s.

The trim thing is a big concern. I am 6'1" and the HP 100 have been fantastic in this regard.

Nobody uses LP tanks in Australia but I had heard that proper fills were difficult to get in the US. Are LP steel tanks common in California?

My objective was to get max gas for minimum weight and buoyancy but proper trim is critical as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom