Tank Size (for my new tank)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TrojanCatMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I just dont know what size tank to buy. I have been diving a very old Dacor AL92 (from 1988) and a Catalina AL80. My Dacor is a fat tank (probably 8") thats slightly short than an AL80 (probably 25.5"). This is the one I am looking to replace since its getting up their in age and will might not survive another hydro. It works well but how many AL from 88 do you see!

I am 5'8" tall. I dont ever notice the difference in drag between my current two AL tanks (but I certainly notice the boyuancy!). All of my diving has been single tank and I probably wont move to doubles because tech diving is so expensive. Therefore I dont think I stand to benifit from having LP over HP for over pressurizing. Weight isnt too much of a problem since I am diving dry now and it takes me currently about 18lbs to sink.

Most of my dives are hunting/collection. I would like to get into wreck diving though. All my diving is off the coast of CA and no more than 130' (my comfort level).

So based on everything I have read the worthington tanks seem like a good choice. I was thinking about the X8 120. Then I thought well shoot the X8 130 is only slightly taller why not it? I think X7-100cf would probably be ample no? The only thing about HP tanks that worry me is getting the short fills (and the DOT exemption). My air consumption is decent and about on par with other experienced divers. So please dont think this is a gear solution for lack of talent. I just want a tank that will be right for me (trim, usage, etc).

Last though any chance this will have any effect of the size of my wings?

Anyone have any thoughts on what I have said?

As far as cost goes the Alu 80's are the way to go (IMO). I have two steel 100's (3442psi) and most of the time they end up around 3200psi when I hit the water. Given your height you may find the steel 100's a better fit than the 120 or 130 because of length. You won't have to make any changes to your BCD/wing with the steel 100 since you allready dive a alu92 & you will get to shed around 6 to 8 lbs off your current weight belt by going to the steel. The steel 100's are also very nice to handle out of the water as far as weight distribution and ease of transport (trunk of your car).
Just a sub not I dive dry and my bcd wing is a 30lbs lift, with a steel 100 I wear 12lbs of lead in fresh water, so don't worry about being over weighted with your bcd.
Steel is more money but worth it if you ask me.

All my tanks are now steel. And I wouldnt go back to alu. I have a 3L pony (19cf) 2 11.6L (100cf) that I can double (independant) and a 15L (123cf).
I would quite like another 11.6L so I can swap out the least full one when doubled for the second dive. I never thought I would go doubles when I brought my 15L but if I did I probably wouldnt have brougt it and just got 3 11.6L instead

All my tanks are now steel. And I wouldnt go back to alu. I have a 3L pony (19cf) 2 11.6L (100cf) that I can double (independant) and a 15L (123cf).
I would quite like another 11.6L so I can swap out the least full one when doubled for the second dive. I never thought I would go doubles when I brought my 15L but if I did I probably wouldnt have brougt it and just got 3 11.6L instead

The X8-120 is taller than the X8-130 by ~2 inches, just FYI.
The X8-120 is a 7.25" diameter tank, thus it must be taller to have the increased volume inside, whereas the X8-130 is 8" diameter, so it can be shorter than the 120.
http://www.diveriteexpress.com/gas/steel.shtml

I like the X8-130 myself, but what would my friends think?

I'd say in this case weights are close to each other so you're not going to carry extra weight that's noticeable, however being of shorter stature then me the wider 8" tanks might just be better for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom