Tank rack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpmaniac87

Registered
Reaction score
I need to make a tank rack to put on a 23' Contender. Any ideas? It needs to hold 6-8 tanks. Or maybe someone has another idea how to transport tanks on a boat...

I need to make a tank rack to put on a 23' Contender. Any ideas? It needs to hold 6-8 tanks. Or maybe someone has another idea how to transport tanks on a boat...

Take a look at the rack made by Pelican, a 6 - pack container. You might have to bungee this to leaning post for stability but I have had great luck with mine. I did make foam tubes to go over the tanks to minimize noise and bumping around.

I like the Pelican racks. You can use them on the boat or at home for tank storage. I put a 6 tank rack under the leaning post. At home you can put the rack on a 4 wheel dolly and it makes it easy to move tanks around.

Here is one that I made that I use at the house, in my truck and on the pontoon boat...

P4180008.jpg

Here is two of the in the back of my truck loaded with tanks. The top tanks I wrap a ratchet strap around just to make sure that they do not go anywhere... The only difference between these and the one above is that these here are only for single tanks. The one above has an open bottom so I can slide my doubles in there...

FullRack-1.jpg

Phil

Here is one that I made that I use at the house, in my truck and on the pontoon boat...

P4180008.jpg

Here is two of the in the back of my truck loaded with tanks. The top tanks I wrap a ratchet strap around just to make sure that they do not go anywhere... The only difference between these and the one above is that these here are only for single tanks. The one above has an open bottom so I can slide my doubles in there...

FullRack-1.jpg

Phil

May work in a pontoon in flat water but wouldn't last too long bouncing around in a 3 or 4 foot sea at 35 MPH.

yeah in 3 - 4 ft seas at that speed it would not be the best unless you also strap the rack down. I have gotten into some remote dive spots needing 4 wheel drive in my truck and the racks may rock back and forth a little but have never gone anywhere. On the lake around here the only time I have seen 3 and 4 foot wakes is when the boat has been anchored and I have never had one tip over. A buddy of mine did have one tip over in his boat though while he was in the water. For what ever reason they only had 2 tanks on the top rack and the lake was very busy with boats. When they surfaced the rack was laying on its side. Luckly the tanks were strapped to the rack and they did not land on anything...

Phil

Be so kind to offer the dimensions of the pipe, and cut lengths? I have a Hummer H3, and the day is half wasted packing and unpackign tanks!

Be so kind to offer the dimensions of the pipe, and cut lengths? I have a Hummer H3, and the day is half wasted packing and unpackign tanks!

I posted a thread about it on the Scuba Toys forum. You can read it here. The first rack I made is the 1st post and the second rack that I made for my doubles is on Page 7. All the dimensions are there... It is an easy build and very handy...

Phil

We use "these" (see link) for the boat now but used to use the steel six pack cage deal. It is extruded aluminum channel that is mounted to the boat. (gunnels/console, or where ever space allows) The nylon/plastic tank holders can be adjusted to fit any size tank very easily. They hold very well in rough seas as well allow enough room for storage while bcd is attached. That alone has its benefits! The added bonus here in my opinion is mounting options, weight distribution, and the fold down feature when not in use. The aluminum bar can be cut to fit and location that would allow a tank to stand or perhaps lie down in a fish box or hatch. 5+ years on the set we have and they still hold strong. Not sure if this link is the exact brand but it is the style we use. I was not aware of the other features available with this system until I looked for it. Nifty!!

Roll Control System - Scuba Diving - Fishing - Boating Accesory- Tank Holders: Dusky Sport Center Online

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom