Tank Rack for HP 100's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mayor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Over the last few weeks I have been looking for some kind of small tank rack to fit into a mid sized car trunk. It must be light, waterproof and hold two HP100 tanks. Just wanted to say thanks for the ideas and here is what I came up with using junk I had around the house. :D

PVC pipe cut in half
Flush mount stainless bolts
Rubber floor Mat
Cutting board

tankholder1.jpg

tankholder2.jpg

tankholder3.jpg

tankholder4.jpg

tankholder7.jpg

For what you want it's going to be hard to beat your setup. Pretty slick for a Shop Stock Project.

I suppose you could cut down on the height a little, as going half way up the tank is a kind of overkill unless you're doing some 4-wheeling getting to the dive site!

I used 2x3's spaced on 8.5" centers to build a tank rack for my truck. They lay on top of a couple of 2x4's and are screwed to them to keep everything in place. Empty, it's only 3" high and will hold either 7" or 8" diameter tanks. Normally I don't even tie them down unless stacking more than one level deep. You could use 7.5" centers if only using 7" tanks, but be careful to leave enough room for the tank boots. In some combinations, my motley crew of Faber 95's interfere with each other a bit at 8.5" centers.

Made with standard lumber and drywall screws (also a SSP), it has survived 5-6 years with little wear or damage. This weekend I noticed that my dive shop buddies have a piece of OSB on the floor of their van, with 2x3's screwed to it at intervals that work with 8" tanks. I guess they liked my rack!

D

Thanks for the kind words.

The PVC sides are touching each other and the boots do not make contact. I dive tonight so we will see how it works. Not that you need something like this for doubles but I'm going to make another rack for them. Just so everything does not get beat up.

Still not to sure about the plastic base but I wanted it light. Will see how the season works out and make changes if need be.

Very nicely designed and built. Simple and effective.

What size PVC did you use? (I know there are threads in the archive) Seems like you found a very nice fit.

Henrik

Last edited:
Very nicely designed and built. Simple and effective.

What size PVC did you use? (I know there are threads in the archive) Seems like you found a very nice fit.

Henrik

I think it's 8in pipe. :D

Hmm, anyway to make that so it's double stacked some way? In my SUV with gear stacked to one side of the back area, only 2 tanks really fit next to it side by side, maybe 3, thanks to the wheel wells. After that I have to put tanks on top of each other which is fine but there's a point where I can't since it pyramids up and if I pull out the gear boxes or bags, they start rolling off (except the bottom 2 which don't move due to one of those foam and rope tank holders. Any ideas?

I have some ideas! Over the weekend I will test something out. :D

Hmm, anyway to make that so it's double stacked some way? In my SUV with gear stacked to one side of the back area, only 2 tanks really fit next to it side by side, maybe 3, thanks to the wheel wells. After that I have to put tanks on top of each other which is fine but there's a point where I can't since it pyramids up and if I pull out the gear boxes or bags, they start rolling off (except the bottom 2 which don't move due to one of those foam and rope tank holders. Any ideas?

Why not leave the pipes whole, and stack them up, then just slide tanks into the pipes?

Or make two like his, and after putting the tanks into one, lay the other on top of the tanks, then put two more tanks in.

D

Why not leave the pipes whole, and stack them up, then just slide tanks into the pipes?

Or make two like his, and after putting the tanks into one, lay the other on top of the tanks, then put two more tanks in.

D

I think with the weight of the tanks, the stacked pipes will start to slide. Maybe with a rubber mat under it won't but I think they might tip or shift on a regular not so gentle turn. I'm not sure. I was thinking that though. Also I just realized 8" means can't do the 130 tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom