Tank prices? Need to pick your brains

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SueMermaid

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am about to put my two tanks up for sale, and need a better idea what they are worth. I was thinking $125 each if they were in hydro. Is that way off base?
----
Two aluminum 80s, O2 cleaned. Will need to be hydroed this year. Blue, Nitrox labels, tank boots, minimal scratches/signs of use.

SueMermaid:
I am about to put my two tanks up for sale, and need a better idea what they are worth. I was thinking $125 each if they were in hydro. Is that way off base?
----
Two aluminum 80s, O2 cleaned. Will need to be hydroed this year. Blue, Nitrox labels, tank boots, minimal scratches/signs of use.

I think it's too high considering the new alum 80 is about $130-$140... Hydro will run you another $60... If the tank is around 4 years old, I think it's safe to say that it has about 50-60% of it's value. so, I wouldn't pay anything more than $60 - $70 for your tank.

I am selling my OMS steel tanks, and it looks like the value I am gettin gor them is $175, considering I paid over $350 each... never had hydro done, so less than 5 years old.

Who manufacturered them and what's the original hydro date?

Roak

Thanks, it's much appreciated!
I think my dive shop does hydro for $40. Maybe I should have them done before I sell 'em?

Er, as for the other questions, I'll have to go look at 'em and get back to you on that. I should have figured you'd get all technical on me and stuff. :cheeky:

You'll probably have a lot more luck if they are in hydro. Except for ones that were from a friend and I knew when he got them, I made the seller hydro them before I'd buy them.

IF they were in Hydro, had DIN valves on them, and O2 cleaned, I think $100 a piece would be a good price...

If they are *NOT* in Hydro, yoke valves, and O2 cleaned, then I would say $75 a piece...

A rule of thumb I was taught when I started diving was that used scuba gear is worth about 50% of its new cost.

Sue,

Have'em hydroed and put them up for what you first considered fair.

Be ready to drop the price on each tank to some predetermined level.

You determine the level. I'd think Chuck is right, about $100 apiece if they're in pretty good shape.

Let your buyer talk you down to your price. Or not. No worries.

[A used tank isn't quite in the same category as a used wetsuit or BC. Assuming they're reasonably new, good shape inside and cosmetically outside, nice valve, etc., there are no seams to give, glue to fail, rubber to rot, nylon to discolor, etc...steel and aluminum tanks don't wear out quite the same as other 'used scuba gear'. IMHO]

Thanks, you guys, I really appreciate it!
(They have yoke valves and are in excellent shape).

SueMermaid:
----

They are worth what someone will pay. I have seen people pay that on e-bay, go figure. But it seems they are pricing in the NEW range. In my neighborhood I can buy a new Catalina AL 80 with new valves and not have to worry about the bad alloy (and exploding tanks) issue for $109.00 any day of the week and $99.00 on sale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom