Tank Position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for some comments on tank position (single tanks)...

Up to this point I have always mounted my tank in the exact same position on my BC. My Sea-Quest Pro QD has a carrying handle on the back that I always loop over the top of the tank. I push the BC down until the handle prevents it from moving any further.

While tinkering with my hose set-ups recently, I was checking my config in the mirror and I noticed that my tank sat pretty low in my BC. I didn't change it at the time since I love my fool proof tank positioning technique.

In the interest of (a) Improved hose routing; (b) Improved ability to reach the tank valve knob; and (c) Comfort, I am thinking of changing the position of my tank.

Here are my the questions:
(1) If you are standing up on dry land with BC fully secured, where is the top of the yoke of the tank in relation to your body? Base of neck? Higher? Lower?

(2) How do you achieve the same tank position every time? I was thinking of simply drawing a small line on my tank(s) with a perm. marker to match up with the top of my BC strap.

Thanks.

The yoke of my tank is just slightly above my neckline so I can easily reach the valve. Luckily my BC (Dive Rite Transpac II) came with an adjustable tank positioning strap/handle so I played with the length of the strap until I got it just right. (I don't own a tank, so marking the tank was not an option for me - but it does sound like a good idea).

I don't really care about the tank position when I'm on the deck. I just don't want to bang my head on my first stage when I'm in swimming position (parallel to the bottom and looking straight ahead). My Nitrox banners give me a strap reference point, the same as a drawn line.

LD,

I also have the Pro QD. When I was going for my cert last year the instructor had told us he recommends we take the valve and have it even with the top of the BC. This makes the hoses right on the back of your neck, and hopefully you are able to reach your valve if needed. I tried once but it appears I need more flexible joints or longer arms.

And the problem I find is the the tank strap slips during my dives. I set up my tank as you say and all is well (provided I have wet the tank band - I also now use a cylinder netting to prevent slipping).

I think the BC is superb apart from the tank slipping.

My 2 cents are:

1. Get a tank netting
2. Wet the band strap always before tightening
3. Attach the hold strap (as LD suggests) to the tank valve

Hey, Heads Up,

Remember that great thread you started about everyone's photo?
Well, here is mine again. I have a QD, too, and from Socaldiver's description, I think my tank is mounted just a little higher than his. I was taught to have about a 3"-4" rise of the top of valve above the top of the BC. I can reach the valve, but it is a tad uncomfortable turning it. You be the judge as to whether the hoses are "rigged" in a seamanlike way...

http://scubaboard.com/pics/joewr/index.html

Joewr...it's been less than a month since we were last wet and I am rarin' to go again!

I have found that with the Pro-QD, the carry-strap over the valve is ok for an AL 80 or a Steel 72, but that the valve is too low on a 95 (8" tank makes the valve lower and further away if the carry strap is used)
My criteria for tank positioning is being able to reach and manipulate the tank valve(s).
Rick

Thanks for the tips guys. And Joe -- love the pic (cool camera).

Rick -- I think you hit the nail on the head. I started the "handle loop" thing when I started diving using AL 80s. The OMS 98 I now use is fatter, leaving the tank lower.

Heads Up -- I had the QD slip the first time I ever used it. I've wet it before using ever since and have not had it slip since. I did use tank webbing for a short time, but decided I didn't like it due to entanglement risk. Haven't had any slipping incidents since getting rid of the webbing last year.

To me one of the most useful things we could add to this board would be to have lots of gear config pictures (here is someone wearing doubles, here is a single tank DIR diver, here is someone with a drysuit, here is someone using an Air 2...etc., etc., etc.). This would be a great learning tool for all of us.

BTW Joe, just curious (not here to flame) -- it looks like you are using an Air2 type set-up for your back-up. How long is your primary reg hose in the picture?

Hi, L-D,

The hose to my reg is 3' long. Why you ask, Kemosabe (says the Lone Ranger)?

Joewr

Hi Joe,

My mistake -- it looked shorter than the standard 36" -- hard to tell from the camera angle. Assuming it was shorter, I was going to ask if you found it long enough during an air share situation.

-LD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom