Tank overfill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The MP 72's are new. The old steels I am referring to were 2250psi tanks. I had a pair with the miraculous J-valves back in the mid-60s that I was happy enough just to get any pressure in them.
I never knew how much air was in them since no one I knew had an SPG then. My Calypso regulator had a cool stem valve that indicated the pressure.
I too have seen the MP72's listed online, but I have never seen one in the water, so I don't know who is buying them.

Hello:

My name is Jamie and I overfill tanks.

My LP bottles feel empty if they are not above 3600 PSI.

Note: Most of the folks who overfill tanks regularly have a few more dives than those who do not.

If you don't want to overfill tanks, don't.

Also, if I'm filling them, make sure I know not to fill them beyond rated pressure. Being that you would be the only customer who doesn't overfill LP tanks, you also may want to mark your tanks with something like a skull and crossbones or of something frail.

PST pressure rating discussions have been held for years, do a search on any board. There are always 1 or 2 people who don't overfill and say that it's dangerous.

Driving the tanks to the local dive site in the Volvo while wearing a helmet, stepping out with a hardhat and steel toe boots, and carrying your tank using proper body mechanics are all great things.

Having enough gas to enjoy the day:

Priceless :wink:

If I don't get at least 3000 in my low pressures I'm not a happy camper

Jamie,

I'm going to have to report you to the tank police.

Divesherpa:
Hello:

My name is Jamie and I overfill tanks.

My LP bottles feel empty if they are not above 3600 PSI.

Note: Most of the folks who overfill tanks regularly have a few more dives than those who do not.

If you don't want to overfill tanks, don't.

Also, if I'm filling them, make sure I know not to fill them beyond rated pressure. Being that you would be the only customer who doesn't overfill LP tanks, you also may want to mark your tanks with something like a skull and crossbones or of something frail.

PST pressure rating discussions have been held for years, do a search on any board. There are always 1 or 2 people who don't overfill and say that it's dangerous.

Driving the tanks to the local dive site in the Volvo while wearing a helmet, stepping out with a hardhat and steel toe boots, and carrying your tank using proper body mechanics are all great things.

Having enough gas to enjoy the day:

Priceless :wink:

Tell them not to inspect my garage :wink: :wink:

OK,

can someone help to clarify why pressure ratings for Fabers are different overseas? I haven't found a definitive answer to this question

I've heard two different versions regarding Faber LP tanks -

1. The cylinders sold here in the states and overseas are identical, and it is the DOT that slaps on the lower pressure on the cylinders sold in the U.S.

2. The cylinders sold here are in fact not the same and that is why they have a lower pressure rating.

any help shedding light on this subject would be appreciated. i recently picked up a set of new Faber 85's - i've already noticed that some shops have absolutely no problem jacking them up to 3500+, while others won't go a bit over 2640.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F
Yes they exist and the funny thing is that the steel tanks that are LP in the US are 300 bar in europe (actually just below). The Fabers are rated to 4K over there and 2640 here. That is why a lot of people don't have an issue with over filling the LP tanks.

I will tackle this issue again. Faber does not make a cylinder greater than 7" diameter that goes to 4000 psi for anyone in the world. The do make a version that resembles a steel 85. When you look at the manufacturers drawing and compare the weight the HP version weights 10 more pounds than our version.

Just because your getting away with it does not mean it is safe

Tom Winters:
Same tanks - different markings and ratings for different markets and governments.
Please point me to a web page showing a European tank with the same dimensions and weight as an LP95 or LP108 that's rated to a significantly higher pressure than 2640 psi.

Back
Top Bottom