Tank Marker Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's pretty hard to confuse the tiny weak blinking LEDs of tank marker lights with xenon flash strobes.

I can see boats not wanting divers fire up emergency xenon strobe locator lights they carry to assist a search if they go missing, but concern about blinking tank marker lights being confused for strobes is ridiculous.

Actually it's quite easy for newbies, who are often to be found on such dive boats, to confuse them. And that bright xenon appears as a weak blinking light if you are far enough away or viz is low. The boat does not want some inexperienced diver needing to get back to the line to chase down a blinking light only to realize it was another diver and the line is nowhere near. Or to drift further from the line than they planned because they saw a blinking something in their peripheral vision and assumed they were staying in the area of the line when they were actually moving away from it with another dive team.

I'm just pointing out some boats (like the ones that do Flower Gardens) have a no-blinking lights rule. You can argue that it's ridiculous all you want but you won't be using one on a night dive on their boats.

I'm using a new(ish) Lithium GloToob - white. Steady light for me. I find the blinking annoying. It has various light levels and glow/blink options, so it doubles as a (weak - granted) safety light.

Henrik

It's pretty hard to confuse the tiny weak blinking LEDs of tank marker lights with xenon flash strobes.

I can see boats not wanting divers fire up emergency xenon strobe locator lights they carry to assist a search if they go missing, but concern about blinking tank marker lights being confused for strobes is ridiculous.

I agree with you.....................BUT..................when we were in Cayman Brac back in May they did not want my wife using her brand new blinking light (white or clear) because they said some people may confuse it for the strobe hanging down from the boat. Sounds a little crazy but that's what they said and of course we went along. I just gave her my red glow light and with my underwater video lights, I was easy to find.

BDSC

I dive in limited vis conditions (less than 5') primarily. I've switched from the chemlights to the glotoob and am very satisfied with it. On night dives, I zip tie a Pelican 2130 mini flash to the top of my surface marker which also works quite well.

Only if I'm required to have one by the dive operator. Then I use a battery operated light that I can turn off whenever I want to. In some places, they attract too many critters.

I personaly use Glo-Toob FX as a tank light. I have a green and a blue becasue they have the lowest light absortion at depth. I reccomend the FX models because they can be adjusted for dive boat that have a no blinking rule.

Reactions: Jax
I don't use either, but I carry a big honking HID light instead.

Glow sticks are not environmentally friendly...

Are they making the dive cap off the lithium model? I would dive the lithium in a heart beat. I use the fx but would prefer the size of the lithium. If you have a link that would be appreciated.
Thanks
HenrikBP:3692627:
I'm using a new(ish) Lithium GloToob - white. Steady light for me. I find the blinking annoying. It has various light levels and glow/blink options, so it doubles as a (weak - granted) safety light.

Henrik

Henrik

Same here... and I would recommend them as well...!

Back
Top Bottom