Tank Hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBADIVINERIK

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville North Carolina...Home sweat home.
My sister thinks she may have found a set of doubles for me. Steel 100s or 105s I am waiting to see which. However 1 of the tanks is out of Hydro and the other has 18 month till it goes as well. Both need current VIPs. I have VIPed tanks before and the price wasnt so bad. I am wondering how much the Hydro will be? How much have you payed to get a tank Hydro? Trying to get an idea of how much more I would have to pay before I tell her to pick them up.

Most shops send the tanks out for hydro to certified testing companies. I usaly see prices around $50 per tank at dive shops. If you go directly to a hydro facility the cost is much less. I recientaly payed $20 a tank for two steel 120's to be tested.

My LSD charges $20 or $25 per tank.

We actually have a local Hydro facility, which I can take them to I think for $12 or $15, which is where the dive shop takes them. What you get extra out taking them to the dive shop is that our shop cleans them after they've been to the hydro place. The water they put in the tanks for the hydro isn't clean and you get residue in the water from other tanks they did, so you could get dirt, oil, a "film", etc on the inside of your tank. I also have to take off work to get to the hydro place for drop off and pickup since they close before I get off work, which the dive shop doesn't. So for me, where I am, it makes sense to let the dive shop do it for the extra few bucks and I get a clean tank back. Remember the hdyro place also used the same hydro machines to do fire extingisher tanks, welding tanks, propane tanks, etc. Lots of crap to contaminate your tank.

I've seen other shops charge $50 for a hydro, but that included the hydro, visusal, and a tank of air.

I contacted one of the fire departments in my area and asked them who does the hydros for the fire extinguishers they inspect and they gave me a name of a local company. The company charged me $22 each for HP100s for hydro and $20 to tumble one of them. The LDS was going to charge me $140 for all of that. Plus I got the bottles back in 10 days instead of 1 month.

(edit) re: Mike's post

I asked if the bottles would be ready to fill after they were done or would I need to clean them out - and they told me they regularly do scuba cylinders and they clean and dry them after the hydro. I did the inspection when I picked them up and they were in great shape and very clean.

bedmund:
I contacted one of the fire departments in my area and asked them who does the hydros for the fire extinguishers they inspect and they gave me a name of a local company. The company charged me $22 each for HP100s for hydro and $20 to tumble one of them. The LDS was going to charge me $140 for all of that. Plus I got the bottles back in 10 days instead of 1 month.

(edit) re: Mike's post

I asked if the bottles would be ready to fill after they were done or would I need to clean them out - and they told me they regularly do scuba cylinders and they clean and dry them after the hydro. I did the inspection when I picked them up and they were in great shape and very clean.

I guess it all depends on your local dive shop and the local hydro shop on what the costs are and what is done and how clean they come for the amount they charge.

I'm sure they are all different.

mike_s:
My LSD charges $20 or $25 per tank.

We actually have a local Hydro facility, which I can take them to I think for $12 or $15, which is where the dive shop takes them. What you get extra out taking them to the dive shop is that our shop cleans them after they've been to the hydro place. The water they put in the tanks for the hydro isn't clean and you get residue in the water from other tanks they did, so you could get dirt, oil, a "film", etc on the inside of your tank... Remember the hdyro place also used the same hydro machines to do fire extingisher tanks, welding tanks, propane tanks, etc. Lots of crap to contaminate your tank...I have seen other shops charge $50 for a hydro, but that included the hydro, visusal, and a tank of air.
I'd find a different hydro test facility or I'd reconsider the honesty of your local dive shop. Their price ($5.00 to $10.00 over cost)is still quite reasonable for the pickup and delivery service provided, but if they are telling you they have to clean the tanks after testing, they are putting one over on you. Personally, alarm bells go off anytime anyone lies to me as it always makes me wonder what else they are willing to fib to me about.

Tanks are filled with water for the hydro test, an o-ring sealed test fitting is installed in the tank and the tank is then placed in a water jacket for the test. The tank is pumped up to test pressure with more clean water. After it is removed from the water tank the rest fitting is removed and the tank is drained, dried and visually inspected.

I have never heard of a shop reusing the the water from one tank by placing it in another. It's also important to remember that the stock in trade of hydro test companies is normally CO2 cylinders for soda distributors, and O2 cylinders for Medical O2 suppliers and welding gas suppliers. So probably 1/2 to 2/3rds of the tanks tested are destined for 100% O2 service by end users who will do no further inspection or cleaning of the tanks. So trust me, if a hydro test facility is getting oil or other contaminants in tanks, they will not stay in business long. Unless you have read in the local paper about welding and medical O2 tanks blowing up all over the place recently, it's a safe bet the tanks leave the hydro test facility at least as clean as they entered.

A VIP is also a mandatory part of the hydro test as is done as part of the hydro test. Consequently what a dive shop effectively does after a hydro only consists of slapping their own VIP sticker on the side of the tank. If they actually de-valve the tank again and re-inspect it, it is redundant and just a waste of time, or at best gives them the piece of mind of VIP'ing it for themselves. It does not benefit you and you already paid for one VIP with the hydro plus you paid the shop's markup so any charge over about $ 0.50 for the cost of the sticker is a rip off.

If part of the cost is paying the dive shop to clean the tank after hydro, I'd insist on watching them do it. If they are concerned about oil contamination during the hydro test (very unlikely for the reasons stated above) then the procedures used are either going to be fairly extensive and probably adequate to clear the tank for O2 service or it is just going to be a water rinse and dry that will be inadequate and would serve only to create the opportunity for more flash rust if you own a steel tank.

Locally the LDS is co-located and co-owned by the hydro test facility. A hydro is done on site in 24-48 hours for $15.00 and includes the hydro test, the VIP and shop VIP sticker and an air fill. A nitrox fill costs $5.00 more.

I've actually already seen them clean the tanks after they get back from Hydro, because I wanted to see how they did it. They use a tumlber with something like/similar to simple green.

I know the hydro place does a Visual on it before they pump it up, but their major concern is saftey and nothing having cracked threads and having tank blow while under test.... And yes I know it's redundant for a dive shop to visual it again, but that's how 99% of the shops operate. Of course 99% of them don't have their own hydro facility also so they don't do this all at once as you indicate your LDS does.

Now I've taken tanks directly to them and gotten them hydro'd before and they came back in my opinion 100% clean. But instead of having to take off work early 2 days (one to drop off and one to pick up at the local hydro place) it's just MUCH easier to let the LDS do it for a few extra bucks. I could care less who's sticker is on it.

When it actually comes to Visuals that's not a DOT mandate, it's "self imposed" by the dive community. Do we really need it? probalby not. But I don't have a problem paying a few bucks a year to make sure my tank is safe (and clean). So I think the Visual program is a good idea. I'm sure others have a different opinion, and that's fine.

We can't all have places where we can get $5 dollar nitrox fills unfortually.

I guess I'm kinda lucky where i am, the guy that does the hydros for the local hydro facility is my buddy, and the DM for the local shop. He has never mentioned any of the stuff you guys were talking about, and he of course hydros his own tanks too. I suppose the quality of the hydro you get depends on the hydro facility. Or, your LDS tells you that they clean them, so you will feel more comfortable with them making a 100% markup for driving a batch of tanks a few miles and back.

SCUBADIVINERIK:
My sister thinks she may have found a set of doubles for me. Steel 100s or 105s I am waiting to see which. However 1 of the tanks is out of Hydro and the other has 18 month till it goes as well. Both need current VIPs. I have VIPed tanks before and the price wasnt so bad. I am wondering how much the Hydro will be? How much have you payed to get a tank Hydro? Trying to get an idea of how much more I would have to pay before I tell her to pick them up.

I own a dozen cylinders, HP steel and AL 80's. Bought most used and out of hydro, there is a company that does hydro's closer to my house than any dive shop. They charge me $15 per hydro, latley $10 because they have started treating me as a commercial account. They tumbled 2 steel cylinders for me a couple of years ago I think at $15. The lowest price I know of for a dive shop hydro is $35. I would charge at least that if it were my shop. We gotta eat.

I used to inspect the cylinders after hydro but after talking to them and a course director friend I now just sticker them after hydro.

Annual visuals are a great idea, the risk is always getting water in a cylinder. Checking threads on AL tanks is worth the effort. Interesting enough Luxfer recommends this every 2 1/2 years.

SouthernSCUBA:
Annual visuals are a great idea, the risk is always getting water in a cylinder. Checking threads on AL tanks is worth the effort. Interesting enough Luxfer recommends this every 2 1/2 years.
This appears to apply to the 6351 alloy. Luxfer requires a visual every 2.5 years but recommends an annual inspection for normal use and more frequently for heavy use.
Here is their press release http://www.luxfercylinders.com/news/releases/20041012.shtml

Back
Top Bottom