Tank Holders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetPro:
Chuck,

I was just hopping around the forums and dropped in here. I have a 19 ft bayliner up here on the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario. It's a great ski boat but it does not lend itself to diving. Sometmes I look at the forums hoping to find that little something that will make it all work - still looking. I just wanted to compliment you on the work and also the great description of your whaler.

Jeff

I'd like to second that, the detail to how and why you did everything really has oppened my eyes as to how to get started on setting up my boat as a dive boat. I especially liked the few times that you said " If I did it over again, I'd......" It's great to see that good ideas can get even better.

Thanks again,
Matt

I was looking at using large PVC pipe, plywood cutouts, welded aluminim and finally decided to go with Roll Control

http://ecpdb.com/rollcontrol.htm

It took a little over an hour to install the rack on both sides of the boat for a total of 8 tank capacity. The adjustble clamps will take either an 8 inch or 7.25 tank and fold down out of the way when not in use. My seat cushions go right over them in the folded down position.

Divers Direct (local) had the adjustable clamps for 29.95 (pair) while a LDS was asking $40 for the same pair of clamps, it pays to shop around.

It's a nice system, more than I wanted to spend, but worth it.

I recently purchased a 17 Ft open fisherman. I went out this past sunday without an effective plan to store 4 tanks- thought a few bungie cords would work. Well once we got out in the ocean, we faced 2-3 foot seas and within 5 mins our tanks had repositioned themselves on the floor- the bungies kept them together but it still became a big cluster and a possible accident waiting to happen

When we got back to the dive shop, to return the tanks, I looked at a few different tank holder setups. I wanted to go with the aluminum rail system, but was told by the owner of the shop that the mounting hardware, that didnt come with the rail, needed to be resessed to allow the holders to slide along the rail. Well, I dont have that type of equipment to resses the mounmting holes, so I decided to hold off and od some research on the net. Now they did have a plastic 3 tank removable set up. The rail had suction cups on each end that fastened to the side of the boat with just a pull of a lever. It looked pretty effective, plus you can just release a lever to remove them. Doea anyone have any exp with that set up? http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/MHSUSH.html

Thanks!

I don't know if I'd trust my tank security to two suction cups.

I set mine up with the roll control aluminum rail. The holes were already counter sunk in the rail. I just went to West marine and got the machine screws/bolts. You want the ones where the head looks like a V from the side, not a mushroom-bring the rail with you for a good fit. You have to either have access to the back of where you are attaching, for a mounting plate or use an expensive expanding nut if you are doing a blind hole. A nut and a washer will probably pull out at the worst time, use a fender washer or a backing plate with it. If you are lucky enough to be attaching to wood, stainless screws and 3M 5200 should do it.

If you need to drill different holes in the rail, you can do it with an electric drill and the
right sized bits and a counter sink. Punch a dimple right where you want the hole centered. Drill a small
pilot hole (about 1/16"), then drill the hole just big enough for the bolt, and finish with
a countersink so the bolt head sits at or JUST below the surface of the rail. Not a big
deal, though it's really easy with a drill press, so ask around for a buddy with a drill press
and give him a couple of boat rides for drilling the holes.

DennisS:
I don't know if I'd trust my tank security to two suction cups.
These actually sound kinda practical. They look like the handles cam the suction down, and on smooth gelcoat would stick like glue. I would keep a close eye on them, but most people avoid diving when the seas are running 20' anyway.
Now, I don't advocate this practice, and as a responsible instructor I would never condone this practice, but you want to just about kill yourself laughing underwater, stick a remora on someone and see how that baby sticks on. If you can clamp it on a the back of a snorkeler, that video is going to make some nice boat payments.

Back
Top Bottom