Tank Holders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BEW, Chad is right about the folding, adjustable, Roll Control clips being the way to
go. You never know what size tank somebody is going to show up with, and being
able to fold them out of the way when you have a light load, or are doing something
other than diving, is nice.

Note that he has what appears to be DriDek matting under the the tanks. This is good.
It saves wear and tear on the deck.

Here's what I've done on a smaller boat: http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/whaler/

Gotta go diving.

I built some racks and mounted them on a portable plate. The rack now can be used in the boat or the truck. When I'm not diving they stay with the tanks. I also have a seat that can be mounted over them when they are in the horizontal position. I have pictures if you are interested. I tried to post the picture, but the file is too large. PM me and I can send them direct to your E-mail.

Scott

divechilly:
Are the clamps on a track? Where did you get them? For now I think I'll put some across the stern. When the tanks are in, they'll block battery access, but I usually don't need that during the day. See photo. Along the sides I have bolsters so I'd prefer not to take those off just yet.

The Roll Control clamps are on a track, they also make end caps, but I chose to grind the sharp edges off and use a SS cotter pin at the ends, so that I would not lose one tank rack just for the end caps. They also make a single mount bracket out of plastic.

The one piece of advice I'll pass on about this system is it's key that you plan for the proper height of the clamp, so that it does not interfere with tank bands of various BCs. That's a tall order considering all the makes out there, but you may have enough flexibility to make some a little higher than others. Stand your assembled systems in the boat and mark where the tracks would fit best. (With out the deck grids tank boots and coolers slip more readily and wallow through the gellcoat.)

Weight is also a key issue so try to plan for some tanks farther forward. they may be your second or third tanks, etc.

Chad

I agree with Chad about the Roll Control end caps. They cost you
about 1 1/4" of track length at each end. I did something similar to
what he did, but I used a 1/8" diameter SS clevis pin about two
inches long. It just drops in and gravity holds it there. Cotter pins
are a bit too sharp and flexible for me.

Location will vary by boat. On my whaler, the best location for
weight distribution is three tanks forward, one midships. If we
have a third diver along, we just lay down two rigs up forward.

Thanks for your good ideas. Now I just need some warm weather to install some of the holders!

Chuck Tribolet:
BEW, Chad is right about the folding, adjustable, Roll Control clips being the way to
go. You never know what size tank somebody is going to show up with, and being
able to fold them out of the way when you have a light load, or are doing something
other than diving, is nice.

Note that he has what appears to be DriDek matting under the the tanks. This is good.
It saves wear and tear on the deck.

Here's what I've done on a smaller boat: http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/whaler/

Gotta go diving.

Chuck,

I was just hopping around the forums and dropped in here. I have a 19 ft bayliner up here on the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario. It's a great ski boat but it does not lend itself to diving. Sometmes I look at the forums hoping to find that little something that will make it all work - still looking. I just wanted to compliment you on the work and also the great description of your whaler.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom