tank getting scratched up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

is way cooler than pristine, always-stored in-the-garage looking stuff.

But it does s**k to get that first gowie on new tanks.

I reversed the way the screws were threaded so that the t-nut, rather than the rounded screw head,was against the tank, it seemed to help,also I bought some replacement bolts and nuts from a dive shop and they were plastic, that would also work. I think the Halcyon has just come out with a diffierent kind of bolt onthe new systems, that prevents the gouging of the tank.
:fire: :fly: (Firefly)

I don't use the bolts. When I first got mine I noticed that the holes in the wing don't line up with the holes in the plate (mine is the only one I've seen like this). Then I noticed that the bolt head hit the tank (using the top bolt hole). This prevents the built in sta from contacting the tank the way it should. Then I noticed I don't need any bolts at all so that's how I use it.

take the little rubber tank keepers off the cam bands and use em on the Halcyon. Holds the tank just far enough off the boltheads for a scratch free tank and actually takes out any roll or slop. Posted a pic in a old thread, but it werks fine for the wife and me.

tony

ps. I know what you mean, Mike, the tank rolls on the bolt heads

I guess I may have something totally differant, but the cambands on mine run through slots in the STA and over the heads of the bolts, the Vee in the STA is such that tank is just clear of the bands.

So there is no way the bolt heads can touch the tank, the cam bands protect it.

Is this unusual?

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
I guess I may have something totally differant, but the cambands on mine run through slots in the STA and over the heads of the bolts, the Vee in the STA is such that tank is just clear of the bands.

So there is no way the bolt heads can touch the tank, the cam bands protect it.

Is this unusual?

It sounds like you have a seperate external STA.The newer style wings have the STA built in to the wing which causes the tank to sit right on top of the bolts holding the wing to the BP.The cam bands run through the BP and the wing eliminating the need for a seperate STA.

Yeah, thanks Lal.
Just after posting that, I checked the Halc website, and there it was, I think Id rather prefer the older style than the new, bit more weight off the belt as well. :)

Dave

Tanks a lot for the info on tanks but here is my (clink clink) 2 cents worth....Remove paint if the tanks are painted and if you have galvanized don't worry too much. The tool dip works for any sharp pokey parts on your rig. Thumper and myself bothe have had enough of paint and we stripped them down to shiney alluminium. We used razors and beer to do that. The beer has no effect on the tanks except to keep me relaxed while I spent 4000 hours scraping the paint off. We choose not to use chemicals because it could damdage the alluminium. And to tell them apart I put PINK booties on mine and he put Black on his.
DIR can just byte me on the PINK booties. Anyway you cannot dive without scratching up tanks. at least I can't. We dive wrecks and caves so it was a constant fight to keep the tanks painted.
Honestly the lack of paint on our tanks makes us just a little bit more visible underwater. And just for the record I dive a Zeagle tech harness and poseidon regs but all my lights and toys are pink...I do it to irratate the hard core techies and cavers....

But you would be amazed on how hard it is to find a black light that you just dropped into black silt in a dark cave...hmmmm maybe the Dir people could learn something from little old me....yeah right. If they like my ideas and start diving with pink they could change thier name to DIP Doing it Pink!!

I Digress and await the onslaught!!!

:flame:

Dive safely
Peat Bogg

Please allow me to be the first with an onlslaught!:D

IF you were Doing it Right, you would have turned on your light BEFORE you unclipped it, thereby making it real easy to find in the silt.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom