Tank fills in Curaçao, other questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vjongene

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife and I will be spending Jan 1-10 in Curaçao, at the Floris Hotel (across the street from the Mariott and the Hilton). I am planning to do a fair bit of shore diving, and looking for (1) tank fills at a reasonable price and (2) dive buddies, as my wife does not dive. I was quoted $11 a fill by Diveversity Piscadero, which is nearby. Sounds steep, but this may be the going rate...

Any advice on the going rates for tank fills (and tips on where to get them), and the most efficient way to find buddies that do not need babysitting would be very welcome. Thanks!

Victor

Caribbean Sea Sports at the Marriott is your closest bet. Can't recall how much I paid for tanks there, but I think it was less with a package. Dive Bus also an option for tanks and people to dive with.

From Floris either rent at CSS at the Marriott or Ocean Encounters at the Hilton. Diveversity is at Blue Bay - a few minutes further drive away. And you have to backtrack from there to go west to other dive sites - unless you want to dive Blue Bay wall while there.

Relaxed Guided Dives also has a tank fill/rental on the main road just past the airport going west. It's convenient if you're driving out there to dive. Which you probably should. Rental - Relaxed Guided Dives or Airfill Station - Relaxed Guided Dives

One other thing to mention is that just about every major dive site on Curacao is also a beach with amenities - including usually a dive facility and snack shop. Most have a beach toy operator also. And a couple like Varsenbaai have a decent waterfront restaurant - in case your wife wanted to go along. You can find out who is where here: http://www.curacao.com/Attractions-and-Restaurants/Diving-Snorkeling/Dive-Operators Discover Diving is set up for tank rentals if you're up near Playa Lagun - they have a truck height tank loading area. Besides Lagun, Playa Jeremi is five mins north.

Can't help with the buddy situation. Except to second the Dive Bus. I'm fairly sure they'll pick you up at Floris also.

Last edited:
One other thing to mention is that just about every major dive site on Curacao is also a beach with amenities - including usually a dive facility and snack shop. Most have a beach toy operator also. And a couple like Varsenbaai have a decent waterfront restaurant - in case your wife wanted to go along. You can find out who is where here: Curacao Dive Operators- Curacao Dive Package- Dutch Caribbean Diving Specials Discover Diving is set up for tank rentals if you're up near Playa Lagun - they have a truck height tank loading area. Besides Lagun, Playa Jeremi is five mins north.

Can't help with the buddy situation. Except to second the Dive Bus. I'm fairly sure they'll pick you up at Floris also.

As mentioned, most beaches have on site facilities and dive ops...

Playa Porto Mari / Beaches / Attractions and Restaurants / Home - Curacao

Overall, here's my standard "Curacao Shore Diving Made Easy For Diver with Non-Diving Spouse" response:

My wife doesn't dive, nor do my two children. Family trips to places like Hawaii or Cayman Islands can be difficult to dive, since diving there usually means being gone before they wake up and being absent for 2/3rds of a day out on a boat. One of our favorite family vacation spots is Curacao. Been there three times, and will be back many more. With plentiful shore diving, most of which can be done from some of the islands nicest beaches, I'm able to get a fair bit of diving in on a "non-diving" family vacation. Goes like this...

Nice, leisurely breakfast at hotel before heading off to a beach like Playa Porto Mari. When we arrive I tell the dive op on site I'm looking for a shore dive buddy and point out where I'm sitting and then set up camp at the beach with the wife and kids. Play with the kids in the sand and the water for a while. Tan, snorkel, read a book, etc.

At some point a single diver or buddy pair will approach me and ask if I want to join them for a shore dive. Before grabbing my gear I turn to my wife and say "I'm going for a quick dive... want me to grab you a pina colada on the way back?" and walk into the water. 45-60min later I'm back on my lounge chair with a cold beer and happy wife. Typically I can get 10 or so dives in during a one-week trip without anyone really noticing/caring that I did a fair bit of diving.

Everyone in the family loves "Daddy's Night Dive" at the Marriott house reef. There's a bar right on the ocean. We sit down for a few drinks and appetizers as the sun sets. When I see my buddy walking over to the dive shop 50ft away, I tell my wife what to order me for dinner and then I head over, throw my gear on, and walk into the water. The kids play "follow daddy's dive light" as we dive the reef that essentially wraps around the point where the bar sits. 45min later I'm back on my bar stool with a cold beer, BBQ ribs, and a happy wife.

04.gif

And, we've met some great people that we ended up spending time with during the trip. One guy I dove with in Curacao had two kids same age as mine and a non-diving wife. We ended up spending most of the week with them and still keep in touch.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom