Tank Color Benefits???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tombiowami

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a couple Alum 80s. Are there any +s or -s to any specific colors, like dark absorbing heat or anything? Sounds like a stupid question but I figure better safe than sorry.

Tommy

Tommy,

Although colored tanks are cool and a way of expressing one's self the paint usually starts to chip. And for that reason my tanks have the brushed finish. They are easy to keep clean and look newer longer.

Just my .02

ID

Only benefit I can see is it would help you pick out your tank in a crowd.

Other than that, no other major benefit. And it seems that most divers never pay attention to what color tank you use.

Manliness aside, pinks tanks really stand out in bad viz. I was with a couple of people doing a lake cleanup dive today. My tank was white, One guy had a flourescent green tank and the third had a pink one. When the bottom got kicked up getting trash, the green tank faded fast. He also had yellow trim on his fins and that faded quickly as well. The pink tank was still easy to pick out. I was told my tank also faded from view fairly quickly. If I were in the market to buy some tanks I would seriously consider the pinks ones since the viz here is not always nice. I can put up with the crap that would go with owning them.

JoelW

If someone says anything just go into a rant about being color blind, and getting ripped off by the guy at the store, because you were supposed to get a ________(fav. color here) tank, and that you'll never shop at Jim Bob's discount scuba pawnshop emporium EVER again. By the time you get through a 5 minute rant about that, nobody will want to bring it up again.:D

As a owner of severl pink shirts, I get "questioned" several times by my buddies. This is what I tell them and it shuts them up every time.

"Pink is just another color, and any man that is afraid to or won't wear pink is insecure of their masculine sexuality."

You sure get some strange looks and it works EVERY time.

ID

Personally, I have always been attacted to men in pink shirts. :) Especially, if thay have thick, dark hair..green eyes..and a tan that doesn't stop until...*sigh*...

Ok..enough fantasy.

Your question was...?

Oh, tanks. Ok.

Problem with painted tanks is, if you are diving in salt water..the salt will get into ANY scratch and start eating the paint from the inside out..and corrode the tanks itself in the process. In the end, its like peeling a sunburn..the skin blisters..then you can peel the outer skin off..but the inner skin is raw. I sat one night and peeled paint off my boyfriend's tank on night, cause I was tired of cleaning up the little blue flakes off the floor.

Don't know what fresh water does to painted tanks..if anything.

Just to be safe, I would suggest getting tanks that are "shotblast" finish. They have a rough silver surface, with no coating. They grip tank straps better and seem to take normal wear and tear a little better than painted or clear coated tanks. I don't know about Steel tanks..but Aluminium tanks come that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom