Tank cleaning and painting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdvaughn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey,
I just purchased a couple tanks that are a little beat up. I would like to maybe clean them up and then maybe repaint them. Does anyone have any techniques or anything that would be useful to me that I should use when cleaning the tank. Can I use a paint stripper or something? or will that invalidate the hydro and what not. Any help would be appreciated. Also how does anyone paint it and how do they let it cure? just let it dry out? Thanks

Look below at similiar threads.

Zip Strip distributed by Star Bronze Co. is the most commonly used gel type stripper. It is what Luxfer recommends be used. In combination with a basic scraper and a 3M style scouring pad it does a reasonable job at removing paint. Some vintages of tanks have more durable paint jobs than others. Generally speaking the newer the tank, the easier the paint comes off. Specifically, some of the US Divers tanks from the mid to late 80's had full multi step etch, prime, coat paint jobs that all very durable. Regarding repainting: DO NOT use any coating system that requires heat curing. This would include some automotive finishes, powder coating, and anything else that requires heat. Temps as low as 300F can permanently damage an aluminium tank. Otherwise, just about any commmonly available air drying spray paint will work. Although, I would recomment against painting, unless you really need or want to. Bare alu will generally be more resistant to corrossion. It will develop that familiar dull gray look and basically stabilize there.

regards,

You need to be really careful with painting cylinders because of the heat/expansion issues. You could end up damaging the cylinder.

RESIST THAT URGE! There is probably no endeavor in the field of diving that will yield as little results for the effort required as tank painting. The one exception is steel tanks that are beginning to rust. The results will be disappointing, but you don't really have any choice. Aluminum tanks, if you really must, are better just stripped bare.

jdvaughn:
Hey,
I just purchased a couple tanks that are a little beat up. I would like to maybe clean them up and then maybe repaint them. Does anyone have any techniques or anything that would be useful to me that I should use when cleaning the tank. Can I use a paint stripper or something? or will that invalidate the hydro and what not. Any help would be appreciated. Also how does anyone paint it and how do they let it cure? just let it dry out? Thanks

I've posted several times on how to paint tanks if you MUST paint them. Suffice to say that in most cases, the cost will be prohibitive when all is said and done unless you have easy access to the proper equipment and materials. If these are used tanks, I can assure you that it will not be worth your while.

That said, if you do know someone in the business, the system requires 3 different coatings (assuming steel tanks):

1) Acid etching vinyl wash primer
2) Heavy Duty Polyamide Epoxy Primer
3) Hi-Bild Isocyanate cured Polyurethane

*** This system is ENTIRELY dependent on proper cleaning and pre-treatment of the substrate prior to painting. After completely stripping the old coating, a minimum pretreatment would involve a 3 stage phosphate treatment. Anything less and you might as well use house paint and a roller.

House paint and a roller....hummm Interesting concept...LOL, I got the feeling that jdvaughn vbmenu_register("postmenu_2482355", true); was just looking to SAFELY make his tank neet and presentable.

You know jd, with purple poka dots you will never loose your tank in a bunch at the fill station)
live it up!!
Crew
vbmenu_register("postmenu_2482355", true);

Repainted tanks are a huge red flag to visual inspectors (as they may have been exposed to heat). Strip AL bare and leave it that way.

Repainting a tank makes some fill stations VERY nervous. A few will refuse to fill at all. The reason is that a few have been heat cured, ruining the temper, then exploding when filled.

A worn paint job says that you've been there and done that. If you just can't stand it, have it sandblasted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom