Tank boot..yes or no??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FredT once bubbled...
The problem here is that due to the heat annealing the boot while it is stretched around the tank it often will be too big to retain itself when you try to put it back on.
That solution might be the solution to Hawk's solution.

Want to remove a tank boot the fun way. Jump feet first into the water from a height greater than 3m up. :D

The water forces its way up the drain holes and forces itself up the sides forcing off the boot.

The BSAC used to have a high entry as a novice diver test requirement. We lost so many boots that way we used to put a standby diver at the bottom to collect them all

That does sound fun, but do you do that with a Full Pike Half Twist, or a Double Somersault?

Actually, after reading this thread, I'm going to take the boots off of my LP Steel 98s for inspection at least. And after a year diving in saltwater, I'm wondering what they'll look like. :scared:

Thanks for the tips on removal techniques, but I think I'm going to try FredT's method first. :wink:

madmole once bubbled...
Want to remove a tank boot the fun way. Jump feet first into the water from a height greater than 3m up. :D

The water forces its way up the drain holes and forces itself up the sides forcing off the boot.

The BSAC used to have a high entry as a novice diver test requirement. We lost so many boots that way we used to put a standby diver at the bottom to collect them all

One of my dive buddies always carries around a bit of shower mat with him, the rubber kind with the suckers on the bottom to stop you falling over in the shower. He puts that down and his cylinders on top. No slippage!

Quite a lot of boats I use either have ridges on the floor and bungies to hold the tanks in, or they have non slip coatings on the floor.

Chris

P.S. I don't know if it's just me, but UK skippers seem to be well ahead of the game when it comes to having things set up for divers. I read some stuff about US skippers that there is no way they'd get away with in the UK. Now I've found some, I'm seriously thinking about refusing to get on any boat without an electric tail lift on it! Ladders? Pah! Old hat....

UP, Tibbs has a good suggestion, and I was thinking along the same lines - you could get a roll of the stuff that you use in cabinets/drawers to keep dishes, etc. in place (it's kind of like a woven mat of foam rubber) - that stuff would stop the movement, comes in large quantity, doesn't slide around, you can easily cut it to fit into whatever space you needed, and it's dirt cheap to boot.

In response to MADMOLE'S comment on removing boots, I think I have a visual idea on how it can be done but I'm not sure I want to try it.

Sure seems like it'd hurt, especially when the "water forces its way up the drainholes". And what happens to the rest of the water when it fills up your boots, does it come out your nose and ears?

Ouch.

;-})

chrispete once bubbled...
I was thinking along the same lines - you could get a roll of the stuff that you use in cabinets/drawers to keep dishes, etc. in place
I don't think the drawer liner stuff would hold up to the abuse we dish out.

We had some old heavy duty fishboat rubbermat flooring stuff on the boat but it was too rotten for even us to put up with so we threw it overboard... just kidding... we threw it in the dumpster... I just have to get some more... kinda spendy stuff.

But if you saw Uncle Pug (the boat) you would under stand why we aren't too worried about scratches in the gel coat... :D

seems to me after reading these post we got hum , some not to smart computer divers out there .
why have a boot
1 stops some ability to roll around
2 enables a tank a plat form to stand upright
3 makes the tank easier to pick up(something to grab onto )
reasons for not having a tank boot
1 hum some say increased corrosion (not if they serviced there tank anually and removed it and flushed with fresh water )
2 cant thik of any others
I beleive the stuff about being hung on something well I never heard of this nor never seen it not say it cant happen but more likely that you would hang someonther part of your equipment first

Well, I can give a testimonial: Monofilament fishing line snagged on boot, local lake. Buddy removed and all was well. Very annoying and hard to get to!

Have tank holders built for transportation, so I don't worry about roll, and I don't place them where they would roll. If they could roll (with or without a boot) I want them tied down properly.

They also stand up just fine.

Only boots now are on my feet (though most of my buddies have them on their tanks).

Have also seen damage while doing visuals due to trapped water and crud, including high mineral content fresh water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom