Tank boot..yes or no??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

madmole once bubbled...
But standing the tanks on the unprotected base and dragging them around the ground doesn't damage the galvanising :confused:

even though dragging them on concrete ? self proclained stoke huh ?

madmole once bubbled...
But standing the tanks on the unprotected base and dragging them around the ground doesn't damage the galvanising :confused:

I never would drag my tanks. I carry them. I set them down gently and lean them on something solid, or I lay them on their sides.

I agree with Campana regarding the bad habits of some people leaving their tanks standing up. Boots seem to facilitate that bad habit. I don't use boots on any of my tanks and the charter boat I use doesn't care, though some charters get kinda cranky, I hear.

Mike

I think since the majority of people do not use rounded bottom steel tanks, this argument doesn't hold much meaning for them.
Nor do the majority of people here cave dive, so the extra clearance argument doesn't mean much either.

The corrosion discussion? My two AL80 tanks have been in service from 6/85 and 2/89 respectively, and neither are showing any corrosion. The 6/85 was given to me by a co-worker and has had a boot on since new and has only ben in salt water. The other I don't know, but there's a pronounced dirt line around the boot, but again doesn't show any corrosion.

One data point anyway.

Marc

My impression of cave divers is that they would die of embarrassment if any of their fellow cavers saw them with boots on their tanks. Being a wreck diver I follow the dive boat rules here that pretty much call for boots on any round bottom tank. So my doubles and OMS 51's have boots, my AL 40's don't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom