Tank age and Max # of Hydros

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.....here in our area, right or wrong there are three hydro places that will not even look at ANY al tank older than 15 years right now.

Why? Have there been any such problems with 6061 alloy cylinders, regardless of age?

I have no evidence. However, despite Luxfer's claim that it is impossible, several of the fatal or near-fatal accidents have had the same fact descriptions of exploding in a state other than burst-before-leak. I would find it difficult to believe that various sets of people can report a near identical set of facts about various different accidents.

I don't find it difficult to believe, if I'm understanding you correctly. Of course a filling station is going to say the cylinder was "properly inspected and tested", or they wouldn't have been filling it in the first place. In legalese, it's called "CYA". Someone may have missed detecting the crack, but whose going to admit that?!

Why? Have there been any such problems with 6061 alloy cylinders, regardless of age?

NO.....Not one, Not in 30 years.

I don't find it difficult to believe, if I'm understanding you correctly. Of course a filling station is going to say the cylinder was "properly inspected and tested", or they wouldn't have been filling it in the first place. In legalese, it's called "CYA". Someone may have missed detecting the crack, but whose going to admit that?!

Eddy current testers are calibrated and tested on a sample before each use in my shop. Believe me its possible not CYA.

NO.....Not one, Not in 30 years.

I have a twin set of the Navy 90 cubic foot 6061 cylinders made in 1968 and they passed hydro, visual and eddy current test last year.

I have a twin set of the Navy 90 cubic foot 6061 cylinders made in 1968 and they passed hydro, visual and eddy current test last year.

I stand corrected, No Not 1, Not in the past 42 years.

Eddy current testers are calibrated and tested on a sample before each use in my shop. Believe me its possible not CYA.

I was refering to what a dive shop that experienced a cylinder explosion would say. They would never say the cylinder had not been properly tested and inspected, or I'd think they would be setting themself up for a lawsuit and a little difficulty collecting any insurance.:wink:

I was refering to what a dive shop that experienced a cylinder explosion would say. They would never say the cylinder had not been properly tested and inspected, or I'd think they would be setting themself up for a lawsuit and a little difficulty collecting any insurance.:wink:
right but what I'm saying is I had a tAnk that could have expolded, and it was right after a hydro vis and eddy..... It does happen. It left me wondering.

It leaves me wondering too.

Back
Top Bottom