Tampa VS New York

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jandee

Contributor
Reaction score
Waterford,Wi, about 25 miles from the Milwaukee Ha
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm on vacation Oct 7th through the 15th and can't decide between a flight to New York or Tampa. I have frequent flier miles and these are the only 2 choices I have, on the water and on the East Coast. What kind of diving can I expect in Tampa. VS New York or New Jersey? I love wrecks, walls, exploring junk, under the ice and in vis of 5ft, I'll dive in anything. Are dive charters available Monday through Friday? Is there shore diving. Can anyone recommend something. I just don't like hurricaines spoiling my vacation.
Are there any springs or caverns close to Tampa. Would consider an into to caverning diving if it could be done mid week.

You probably get a better response if you post in the Central FL forum as opposed to the North.

I haven't dove in NY, but I hear it's the place to go if you love cold, murky water. The Tampa bay area, on the other hand, usually has vis of 25' or better, that time of year the water is still in the high 70's to low 80's. There are numerous wrecks, ledges and artificial reefs to dive. (Natural reefs are on the east coast, about a 3 hour drive from Tampa).

Here's a website that will help finding shops & charters.
http://www.florida-scuba.com/

Rich

NJ has alot of wrecks to hit, and alot of charters go all throughout the week. I suggest looking at Wreck Valley forums for more info. Expect seas to be between flat to 5ft. Vis from nothing to 20ft (on a great day) and 50 degrees at 70'. I wear a 7mm and am comfortable diving in the temp but alot people I've dove with got cold the first dive and thumbed the 2nd. Not experienced but out of my 4 oceans wrecks thats what I've seen so far.

Jan Dickinson:
I'm on vacation Oct 7th through the 15th and can't decide between a flight to New York or Tampa. I have frequent flier miles and these are the only 2 choices I have, on the water and on the East Coast. What kind of diving can I expect in Tampa. VS New York or New Jersey? I love wrecks, walls, exploring junk, under the ice and in vis of 5ft, I'll dive in anything. Are dive charters available Monday through Friday? Is there shore diving. Can anyone recommend something. I just don't like hurricaines spoiling my vacation.
Are there any springs or caverns close to Tampa. Would consider an into to caverning diving if it could be done mid week.

I would love to tell you come to NY, but your schedule won't get much diving in. Here most boats run weekend. Only couple of trips maybe one day during week. And in Oct, even that peters out. Also weather in Oct is very unpredictable.

Why Tampa? I think much better on east coast of FL. I'll be doing week in Panhandle (if Ernesto doesn't mess things up) and mid Sept. East coast Fl.

OH! and we do get some 50 ft vis on off shore wrecks

If you come to Florida, Think about someplace from Middle Keys on up the East coast
To as far North as perhaps Jupiter Inlet.

These areas seam to have the most "Good" dive opourtunities
both in numbers and variety of dives.
Reefs, Wrecks, Beach entries, and Boat dives.
And as a bonus, the water is pretty warm there.

If springs and cave/caverns are your thing.
Then definitely go to North/Centra Florida "Cave Country".
It's always 70-72 degrees.

This activity just can't be beat anywhere else.
At least not in North America.
Ok, Mexico is pretty nice, but different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom