Talk about stupidity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaTurtle42

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
"Anonymous Divers," not the real name, insists that they “man” their boats which means that they have person stay on the boat whilst divers are down. This way if there’s a problem on the surface, this person can address it. So the other day, we noticed that they were buoyed on their mooring line after a terrible storm and the boatman was fast asleep. We continued to the harbor to pull our boat up on the trailer. We noticed that "Anonymous Diver’s" boat was drifting by, no one seemingly on board, yet we knew the boatsman was asleep in the back.
We wondered when the boatsman would wake up and realize she had drifted about ¼ mile from the dive site, but to no avail, she did not wake. We finally decided to radio her and as soon as we called her, she sat up with a jolt and realized the predicament she was in. About five minutes later, she managed to figure out how to use a radio and asked us for help. We launched our boat and flew out there as the boat was getting perilously close to the rocks.
“Do you know how to drive this boat?” I asked her, wondering why the hell the girl did not use her brain and at least start the boat to move away from the rocks or even throw the anchor to stop it from drifting.
“I don’t even know how to turn the key on or even how to use a radio,” she wailed. I rolled my eyes and sent my dive master on their boat to drive it back to the site. Meanwhile, I drove our boat back to the dive site and picked up their dive master on the way who was half way swimming out to the boat but would have been nearly impossible given the current that day and went over to their divers still hanging on the now detached mooring line.
Their clients were thrilled to see us and even muttered, “Guess we chose the wrong dive company to go out with.”
Just doesn’t make much sense to advertise that you have boats manned when the person manning the boat is sleeping and isn’t aware of the surroundings…not to mention, does not even know the basics like turning a key on, throwing an anchor, driving a boat, and needles to say, how to use a radio.Before anyone works on a boat, some training should be done...It came minutes within crashing on the rocks. Talk about stupidity…

Wow, last few times I've been on a boat, part of the briefing included how to operate the radio (Ch16?) and steer the boat in case something happened.

"Ocean Divers," not the real name,

Then you might want to edit it to a different fictious name because there is a real Ocean Divers.

All the charters I've been on (in the US) have a licensed Captain who always remains on board. In most cases there is also a 1st mate who also remains on board. The boat isn't just "manned", it has a "crew".

Can you PM me the real name? We have relatives who are staying in New Zealand for the next 7 months and they are new divers with very little ocean experience. We'd like them NOT to take the op you are talking about. If you can PM me your name as well, we'll suggest you as an alternative.

Thanks

Sorry guys, I'll change the name again...I realized there were probably thousands of Ocean Divers out there....and don't worry, the dive operation isn't in New Zealand...that's just where I from.
Well, I'm sure after the whole incident, she learned how to operate a radio....

Sorry guys, I'll change the name again...I realized there were probably thousands of Ocean Divers out there....and don't worry, the dive operation isn't in New Zealand...that's just where I from.
Well, I'm sure after the whole incident, she learned how to operate a radio....

One will hope she learns not to fall asleep while her divers are in the water, too!

Just doesn’t make much sense to advertise that you have boats manned when the person manning the boat is sleeping and isn’t aware of the surroundings…not to mention, does not even know the basics like turning a key on, throwing an anchor, driving a boat, and needles to say, how to use a radio.Before anyone works on a boat, some training should be done...It came minutes within crashing on the rocks. Talk about stupidity…

stupidity on the captain or owner's part, i agree... whoever made the decision to leave this person in charge of the boat is the one who should be fired ...

sorry if i am reading too much into your post, but you seem to think it's the girl's fault for not knowing all that stuff ... why didn't the owner hire someone competent? perhaps because it would cost too much? who can say ...

now, as for falling asleep ... i think she should have known that staying awake is part of the job requirements ... so i'd fire her too for that

also, we are assuming that she was crew ... we don't know the circumstances ... she might not have been (maybe just someone hanging around who got left behind by default) (given her lack of familiarity with the boat, i am guessing she was not a regular, or perhaps very, very new to the job without any training).

again, the owner/captain is at fault for not making sure a competent person was left in charge. if she was paid crew, then she is at fault too for falling asleep on the job.

No, I agree with you completely, H2Andy...I think the owner is at fault because he should require some training if you are left on the boat.
The girl has been working for the company about 2 weeks and she is a DMT, so yes, you are also right in that she does not have a lot of experience with the boats.
I guess what I was so frustrated with was that she didn't use any logic in that I think most people would say...hmm, well I don't konw how to start a boat, but it should be fairly easy to put an anchor down...you just chuck it overboard. These boats are only about 5 metres long in length, all outboards, fairly little boats.
As for the sleeping bit, actually that's quite common for these guys. She's not the first to have a little snooze while divers are down. We've mentioned it before to the owner...how it's a bit weird to have your boatsman sleeping while divers are down, but he just laughs it off and doesn't think it's really necessary for them to be watching the horizon/bubbles all the time...
Oh well, just glad I don't work there...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom