Talc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3D diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I use talc on my Viking dry suit & it's a bit hard to find.

I bought some from Leasure Pro but it's all gone & I've been looking around for alternatives. Two possiblities are Tire Repair talc and Billiard talc.

I was hoping to find the tire repair talc at a local O'Reily's, but it's not stocked so ordered some from Amazon instead.

While googling today I found this:

Talc sandable body filler and fairing compound. In stock | Fibre Glast

I just ordered a carton & if it works out should be set for a while.

What's wrong with corn starch (aka Baby powder without the perfume) ?

I use the baby prouder with a scent on my POS drysuit and I can't seem to kill it. Turns out it might be a myth, can anyone say myth-busters?

Sent from my She-er-water Per-redator!

I've used it (corn starch) before in a pinch. As I recall, it get's gooey when wet so is a bit messier than talc.

In hindsight, I think I should have bought the 3lb package. Oh well, maybe I'll give some away for Christmas.

baby powder is talc not corn starch

baby powder is talc not corn starch

Hmmmmm. . . I hate to rely solely on Wikipedia but:

Baby powder is an astringentpowder used for preventing diaper rash, as a deodorant, and for other cosmetic uses. It may be composed of talc (in which case it is also called talcum powder) or corn starch. Talcum powder is harmful if inhaled since it may cause aspiration pneumonia orgranuloma.[1] Drugs such as cocaine are sometimes cut with talcum powder;.[2] It is also an ingredient in counterfeit pharmaceuticals and food products as a bulking agent in order to give the appearance of a larger quantity than actually present.[3] Pediatricians generally prefer cornstarch to talc because it is unlikely to be easily inhaled.[4]The ingredients of Johnson's baby powders are listed as Zea Mays starch, Tricalcium Phosphate and Fragrance or Talc and Parfum[

Zea Mays starch is cornstarch. . .

Try contacting sending a PM to dave4868 here on this board. He sell pure unscented talc for a very reasonable price.

I use talc on my Viking dry suit & it's a bit hard to find.

I bought some from Leasure Pro but it's all gone & I've been looking around for alternatives. Two possiblities are Tire Repair talc and Billiard talc.

I was hoping to find the tire repair talc at a local O'Reily's, but it's not stocked so ordered some from Amazon instead.

While googling today I found this:

Talc sandable body filler and fairing compound. In stock | Fibre Glast

I just ordered a carton & if it works out should be set for a while.

It appears what you've found there is talc that's a common material used as a thickener for epoxy resins.

I order my talc from US Composites: talc linky. It appears to be exactly the same as yours, just a bit less expensive. Which is good, because I've used the talc from US Composites for quite some time on my drysuit, and it works great.

As an extra data point, the talc from US Composites appears to be exactly the same as USP talc; same texture, same purity, except several orders of magnitude cheaper.

All the best, James

Here's $5 worth of talc:

TalcUSComposites.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom