Taking two sets of dive gear to Cozumel???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gstucke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are going to Cozumel in September. However, she is arriving a couple of days later than me. I have a direct flight from Atlanta to CZM, but she must fly from Atlanta to Cancun and then Mayair to CZM. I had planned to take both sets of our gear in order to make her transfer in Cancun as easy as possible.

I need to know if this will be a problem at Customs in Cozumel. The Mexican Customs Declaration Card says that your are allowed "two portable used personal sports gear..." I have asked a number of dive shops in the Atlanta area and also some travel agents. So far the answers are 50/50. Half say that it will not be a problem and the other half says one set per person going through customs. I contacted the Mexican Consulate in Atlanta twice and they are also 50/50.

How can I find out for sure????

Thanks in advance for everyones help.

It won't be a problem. I've brought down redundant gear before. I don't know the "official" ruling but I can almost guarantee they won't care.

Just hit the button and if it's green go on through. If it's red just point and say "equipo de buceo" and they will open your bag, briefly look and then send you on your happy way.

I have taken my wife's gear with me when she was arriving later and had no issues (red or green customs light). In 40-50 times there I have never even heard of anyone being told they have too many bags and have seen some groups go through with extra bags. As said, if they question it, tell them it's for your wife sho is arriving in a few days via Cancun by air (it's the truth). Heck, show them the flight numbers if it comes to that. I really don't think they care and are not looking for personal used dive gear in customs in Cozumel.

It may or may not be a problem. Are you bringing lots of gear? Does it look new? I have spent about 45 min dealing with 4 customs people about the equipment I brought in. Take a photo copy of your wifes dive card and her airline ticket and you can tell them it is her gear if they hastle you. They are pretty good about things though.

Good suggestion to take pictures. I will be carrying her complete set of gear; BC, fins, wetsuit, reg, mask, etc...

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Of course I got green lighted at customs but I really don't think anyone cared that I had a back up set of regulators/mask/fins etc.

Damn that case was heavy though.

I was thinking the only concern really will be weight/bag fees with the airline. I've never seen them care mutch about anything while they pretend to be looking as they go through your stuff in Cozumel.

Wow I have never even considered this problem. I bring old gear down for the kids around the pier every time I go down. An extra pair of fins, masks, snorkels, sometimes two extra regs, 10pairs of shorts, just tons of stuff. I leave my gear down there now so everything I bring pretty much is given away. This is funny, I wonder if I will get nervous now. hahaha

You will be good. I just got back a couple weeks ago. In my checked bag i had
2 fins, 2 BC's, 2 mesh bags, 2 snorkels, 2 masks, 2 pairs of booties, dry bag, defog. total weight 48lbs
My backpack carryon I had a laptop, two cameras, two complete reg sets.
No questions asked. They didn't even make me open the back pack.

Gone there with two sets of gear many times, never a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom