Taking the grandkids to the Grand Canyon

You can vote on multiple choices but ready below first...

• Yeso is boring.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yeso what...??

• Yeso Ghost town is cool, altho spookier at night

• Window Rock to Tuba city is interesting.

• Window Rock to Tuba city is lovely.

• Window Rock to Tuba city is weird.

• Window Rock to Tuba city is too much boring desert.

• I have no idea - never been to any of it.

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
You can vote on multiple ideas I think unless you already voted before reading...

Nothing dive related here, but if you happen to know Yeso NM or northern AZ, maybe you can give me suggestions. It'll be my daughter, 17 yo grandson, 17 yo German student with us this year, 7 yo granddaughter, and me for 2,000 miles of "S/he touched me!" Oh we have a big enough van to spread them out and they have portable idiot boxes to watch, but it still happens. We try to find them enough entertainment now and then so they don't turn into little demons and we have a pretty good plan I think...

Day 1: Drive to Albuquerque, check-in Plaza Inn on Medical Arts Ave, need two rooms so had to keep it economical. We have a visit to the city Aquarium planned, supper, pool time - but I've been wanting to visit Yeso Ghost town on the way sometime. Anyone been there? Would the kids be totally bored?

Day 2: Drive to Cameron AZ, check in there for two nights. It was a lovely motel 20 years ago; hope it still is. I'm thinking take the road to Window Rock, Hubble Trading Post, Tuba city, and I would find the tour thru the reservations interesting - but they may not? Anyone done that road from Window Rock to Tuba?

Another deciding point there depends on the one lady who sells National Park Passes as they only seem to have one who does at Hubble and I do want to get one before we get to the Grand Canyon! She's on furlough and they're not sure when she'll be back? Alternatively, we'll zip to Flagstaff, then north, get the Pass as Sunset Crater and do that drive thru then - checking out the ruins with time allowing.

Day 3: All day Grand Canyon. I hope the kids can avoid running off of the cliffs. They scare me at times. :shocked2: I don't want to do the mule ride down or hike them in, but I think driving along the rim and stopping at various lookouts is neat - more so than Chevy Chase in that Vacation movie. I think cars are allowed even to Hermit's Rest thru March?

Day 4: We'll move to Flagstaff, Ramada West - everything else in that class was twice as much and it looks ok for one night and some laundry. Depending on when they can allow check-in, we'll do Sunset Crater if not done before, Montezuma's Castle, Oak Canyon drive back, maybe consider the Tuzigoot monument and/or Walnut Canyon. I did all these 20 years ago but the snow was so restricting that December - it may be quite different in some places. I do hope the kids don't lose interest in these parks.

Day 5: Leave for Albuquerque, maybe doing Walnut Canyon then, drive thru Petrified Forest from the south end with stops, then a stop outside the park to buy them some fossilized wood before heading on. May stay someplace different the second time thru there?

Day 6: There are a lot of things to see in Albuquerque so if they are not driving us crazy by then, spend the morning there, then leave for home after lunch.

Any suggestions or comments? If not, sorry for wasting bandwidth - but if you have some experiences to share, please tell.

Thanks.png

Last edited:
The wife and I were in the area a few years ago and found a detour you might like, it was one of the better accidental side trips we took. From Flagstaff take 89 into Sedona then 179 back to I-17 but instead of getting on I-17 go past it by about 1/2 a mile and turn onto Beaver Creek Rd.....it's dirt but well maintained. This will take you through some back areas of Arizona and will bring you out at Montezuna's well, another spot you might like. From there you can continue south and get back on I-17 in a few miles. Of course this is assuming you are not in a hurry to get back, still want to see the country side and don't want to kill the kids. :) This route had some of the prettiest scenery of the entire trip.

Oh and take your dive gear, you can get the latest PADI dive specialty. Canyon Diving.
normal_canyon-dive-web.jpg

Anyone done that road from Window Rock to Tuba?
State 264? Years ago. As you get near Cameron you're in the Painted Desert but I don't recall where it starts. From Ganado you might want to sidetrip (about 30 miles?) north to Canyon De Chelly Natl' Monument - it's pretty dramatic - another place to keep the kids from running off the cliff - tour Canyon de chelly | MBIRU.COM
Oak Canyon drive back, maybe consider the Tuzigoot monument and/or Walnut Canyon. I did all these 20 years ago but the snow was so restricting that December - it may be quite different in some places.
Slide Rock in Oak Creek Canyon is now a State Park: Coconino National Forest - Slide Rock State Park There's a parking lot there but it fills up by mid-morning on weekends. Sometimes traffic slows to a crawl till you're past there. Details here: Arizona State Parks: Slide Rock: Home In a lot of places it's the same 2-lane road, they've widened some of the switchbacks over the last decade or so.

Sedona has changed recently. The speed limit on the main road is now about 30mph (really!!) and they added at least 1/2 dozen rotaries - removed all the stop lights except on the main road out to West Sedona - which has really changed in 20 years. Several miles of it are one lane only now also with curbs on both sides. So plan on that taking a little longer - esp. if you stop off at the viewpoints. Or get caught behind a tourbus.

Last edited:
The wife and I were in the area a few years ago and found a detour you might like, it was one of the better accidental side trips we took. From Flagstaff take 89 into Sedona then 179 back to I-17 but instead of getting on I-17 go past it by about 1/2 a mile and turn onto Beaver Creek Rd.....it's dirt but well maintained. This will take you through some back areas of Arizona and will bring you out at Montezuna's well, another spot you might like. From there you can continue south and get back on I-17 in a few miles. Of course this is assuming you are not in a hurry to get back, still want to see the country side and don't want to kill the kids. :) This route had some of the prettiest scenery of the entire trip.
Yeah, M-Well does sound interesting; thanks for the heads-up on the scenic drive. Would not want to swim in that pit tho - kinda over loaded in arsenic. :shocked2:
Montezuma.JPG
I think down the interstate to the M-well and M-castle area, maybe visit both, perhaps over to Tuzi (D on this map)
Tuzi.JPG
Then back up to Sedona and 89 on to Flagstaff. I'd rather bypass over hyped Sedona but don't see a way.
State 264? Years ago. As you get near Cameron you're in the Painted Desert but I don't recall where it starts. From Ganado you might want to sidetrip (about 30 miles?) north to Canyon De Chelly Natl' Monument - it's pretty dramatic - another place to keep the kids from running off the cliff - tour Canyon de chelly | MBIRU.COM

Slide Rock in Oak Creek Canyon is now a State Park: Coconino National Forest - Slide Rock State Park There's a parking lot there but it fills up by mid-morning on weekends. Sometimes traffic slows to a crawl till you're past there. Details here: Arizona State Parks: Slide Rock: Home In a lot of places it's the same 2-lane road, they've widened some of the switchbacks over the last decade or so.

Sedona has changed recently. The speed limit on the main road is now about 30mph (really!!) and they added at least 1/2 dozen rotaries - removed all the stop lights except on the main road out to West Sedona - which has really changed in 20 years. Several miles of it are one lane only now also with curbs on both sides. So plan on that taking a little longer - esp. if you stop off at the viewpoints. Or get caught behind a tourbus.
I found De Chelly once in a fog, driving in from the back way and stopping at an observation point. Wow! The recent blizzard kept me from doing a tour, but I doubt we can squeeze a tour into this day - and looking down into it from above on Sunday when we are going to be at the Grand on Monday may be too much. I won't be passing thru Sedona and Oak Canyon until Tuesday so maybe the traffic won't be bad.

On our first group outing around northwest NM, we didn't run into any crowds at any of those sites until we got to Bandelier NM on a Saturday, there close to Los Alamos, Albuquerque, etc - that was crowded! We're starting on a Saturday this time so will be at most sites on weekdays. :eyebrow:

When are you doing this trip?

I have only been to the Grand Canyon once, yeah I know crazy, for half a day. It was very cool, we plan to go back and camp for a weekend and do some of the hikes, etc.

I know Sedona and Montezuma's castle are big draws, but I think there are better places in NM. I really like Tent Rocks (just north of ABQ) and Bandalier National Park (up by Los Alamos).

In Albuquerque I would highly recommend you take the tram up to the top of Sandia Peak. It isn't cheap ($20pp for adults) but it is 2.5 miles long up over gorgeous terrain and you might even see big horn sheep.
The Aquarium is okay, zoo is okay... actually I like the zoo here more than most major cities. Indian Cultural Center is really nice. Balloon Museum is really nice.
look at the Albuquerque website for more info: Albuquerque - Albuquerque New Mexico - Albuquerque NM

robin:D

Haha thanks Robin. Most locals in Seattle have never been to the San Juan islands but my daughter, grandson and I did those when he was 1. Have you done Chaco, Ice Cave, the Sky Pueblo?

I've never heard of Tent Rocks, thanks - looks interesting. We did Bandalier at the end of a trip a few years ago. We'll look into the tram but I think the kids will be tired of the great outdoors by then. Thanks for the zoo suggestion.

We leave in 13 days.

Where you backtrack at "B" is where the dirt road is. It is only about 10 miles or so and puts you in the "real" country side, no houses or anything else along the way, nice seanic drive and it brings you out exactly where you want to exit off I17 to go to Sedona anyway- HW 179. Just hang a right instead of a left as you exit the Well. There is a highway sign that had I-17 in both directions on it which is the reason I found it in the first place.

Where you backtrack at "B" is where the dirt road is. It is only about 10 miles or so and puts you in the "real" country side, no houses or anything else along the way, nice seanic drive and it brings you out exactly where you want to exit off I17 to go to Sedona anyway- HW 179. Just hang a right instead of a left as you exit the Well. There is a highway sign that had I-17 in both directions on it which is the reason I found it in the first place.
Ok I took a closer look and I think I see now. Get off of I27 where #179 intersects, but go east then south along Beaver Creek Rd to the well, then continue on it south back to I27...
well.jpg

Day 3: All day Grand Canyon. I hope the kids can avoid running off of the cliffs. They scare me at times. :shocked2: I don't want to do the mule ride down or hike them in, but I think driving along the rim and stopping at various lookouts is neat - more so than Chevy Chase in that Vacation movie. I think cars are allowed even to Hermit's Rest thru March?

The mules are probably out as you have to reserve them a decade or two in advance, and if you are like me they won't let you on them anyway. (There is a pretty low weight limit.)

But I think you need to hike in a bit to really get the feel of it. Seriously.

My wife and I looked down into the canyon and saw a big hole with stuff on the floor far below. We saw the top of a pinnacle far below us. We started hiking down the same trail the mules use. We passed mules a couple of times. After a while, the top of the pinnacle was closer, but the bottom looked exactly as far down as it looked originally.

Then we hiked far enough that the pinnacle top was even with us, but the bottom of the canyon still looked as far below us as it had originally.

Eventually we reached the point that the top of the pinnacle was far above us, and the top of the canyon seemed to be extremely far above us. But the bottom of the canyon still appeared to be as far below us as it did when we started. It was at that point that we really understood something about the depth of the canyon. I don't think the human mind has the ability to comprehend the kind of distance that it actually is from the top to the bottom.

We hiked out at that point. It only took a couple of hours, and it was well worth it.

No comments on my Yeso NM ghost town visit? Eh, maybe we'll stick to the Mapquest plan, a quick stop off at Blue Hole, Santa Rosa NM, and see how many divers are there next Saturday. The cross reservations road to Tuba will probly depend on whether the lady who sells passes is back or not.
I wonder if a few pair of 10x25 binoculars @ $12 each would help keep the kids entertained on the drive, as well as handy at many of the sites?​
Hehe, I think the mule rides are booked up to 13 months in advance, sell out 6 to 8 in advance, but a couple of us would not qualify, thank gawd...
EACH RIDER MUST NOT WEIGH MORE THAN 200 LBS. (91 kilograms) FULLY DRESSED. Yes, we do weigh everyone. Each rider must be at least 4 feet, 7 inches (55 total inches or 1.38 meters) in height, regardless of previous riding experience. Each rider must be able to speak and understand fluent English. Each rider must be in good physical condition. Riders should not be afraid of heights or large animals. Rider cannot be pregnant.

There are several other tours I want to avoid, flying, rafting, etc. :shocked2: The ALL-DAY jeep tour to the bottom sounds nice, as it should for $236 each. Eh, only $20/hr if you say it fast. :thumbs_down: Nope! I'm glad that the Skywalk is on the other side of the canyon. :shocked2:

Hiking down a trail for an hour, then climbing out does sound interesting. We've done much worse this year. And the Desert View Watch Tower might be nice. I think that road was closed from the blizzard last time I was there, or I never saw the road, but remember the view of the tower. It's in renovation now but maybe doable..
In 2008, two tourists were banned from all American national parks for the period of a year after using white-out and permanent marker to correct the punctuation on a sign on the Desert View Watchtower, which had been painted by Colter.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom