Taking the full face mask course, does anyone have the crew pack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you having to pay to take the class? When my wife and I bought our masks (ocean reef neptune space g. divers, could the name be any longer) the training was included with the mask. We got two masks with comms, QD, SAV, and training for $1700. Of course post-covid, everyone seems to be willing to pay more for recreational activities so maybe it's hiked a bit.

Something to watch out for on that mask, the surface air valve tends to stick if you crank it down at all. Not that I ever deliberately cranked it down but several times I've had it unscrew from the mask instead of simply getting less tight because it was "stuck". Just a warning to be gentle with it based on my experience.

Is a FFM course required? I have a space extender and have no issues using it or removing it and replacing with a spare mask and using my backup air source and vice versa.

Glenn

Is a FFM course required? I have a space extender and have no issues using it or removing it and replacing with a spare mask and using my backup air source and vice versa.

Glenn

certifications are only "required" if you need something that requires it.

I.e. a basic OW certification is generally required to get air fills and entry into some parks/boats. It is not required if you have your own compressor and are going to dive in unregulated areas.
A nitrox card is generally required when you want to get nitrox, but if you have your own way to blend it then it's not required.
AOW to get to 100ft, etc etc.

The FFM course is not required by anyone to my knowledge outside of some institutional stuff. The aquariums I have dove in haven't required me to show proof of a certification but I have had to "pass a test" that the DSO has set up and I'm sure @Hoyden has something similar at her aquarium. Our DSO at the university requires demonstration of skills prior to allowing use when students need them for scientific stuff. This is one of those courses that have some nuances to make the skills easier and some time with an instructor will help IMO. A card isn't required, but time with someone who actually knows what they're doing is good. Someone like Jackie who uses them every day is going to be far more in tune than someone like me who can dive them but only does it a handful of times a year and only because I need the comms for whatever jobs are being done.

I think of it like a continuing education class at your local university or trade school. For example I took a welding class in 2019 because I wanted to learn how to weld instead of muddling through it with youtube videos on my own. I didn't get any kind of certificate/card/other. I just got the knowledge.

Sure you can learn stuff on your own, but sometimes you want the benefit of a skilled instructor.

I am still working on getting it dialed in at the pool, so for I can put it on and clear it underwater. I haven't switched to a 2nd yet. I want to go for my master diver, so far i have my AOW, rescue, and nitrox. I want to get the deep diver, drysuit and I have not decided on the other two yet. I am just unsure if I can take the padi courses with my FFM (which is more comfrotable) if I have not been certified. Outside of training classes does anyone require the course? ie, going on a boat dive or something similar?

OW, and sometimes AOW is needed to dive with operators. Nitrox is needed to get nitrox. Nothing else is needed for non technical recreational diving.

Do you think it would be a problem taking other classes from a padi dive center without the ffm certification?

Why would that be?

they cause far more problems than they solve and I firmly believe they are a tool to be used only when necessary, i.e. contaminated water and when comms are required.
For things like deep diving they are properly annoying because you either have to deal with switch blocks *which are expensive, annoying, and highly risky*, or you have to come off of the FFM to switch to another bottle.

Back
Top Bottom