Taking tanks across to Canada?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orion DM

Reaction score
After a long debate with myself over where to post this I decided on here as I need info from the Seattle perspective, if someone thinks it should go somewhere else just let me know.

I was scheduled to take an IE down in Portland a couple of weekends ago, but it was canceled due to insufficient candidates, so now I am slated for September 24th-25th in Vancouver, BC...... now the part I need help with, can I take my tanks across the border from Seattle into Canada? I have had some people tell me no, others yes, and I don't know what to believe.

I would just rent a couple of tanks up there but I dive and am weighted (And mastered all my skills) wearing AL 63's and AL 50's, which are non-standard tanks.... which brings me to my second question, does anyone know of a dive operation up there that rents those? (Or a friendly Scubaboarder who would lend one to me for a weekend :) )

Orion DM (Going to have to change that name soon I hope!)

Check the tanks for a TC stamp (Transport Canada). It is the equivalent of your Dept of Transportation.

If it has the TC stamp, you will be fine.

It will be fine regardless.

Never had any issues taking my cylinders across the border. If you're going on a ferry, just make sure to keep them out of sight ... I did have someone give me a hard time once because they noticed the cylinders in the back, but they still let me go.

The advice about the TC stamp matters if you're planning to get fills in Canada ... some shops up there won't fill them otherwise ... but almost all cylinders have the stamp anyway.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Never had any issues taking my cylinders across the border. If you're going on a ferry, just make sure to keep them out of sight ... I did have someone give me a hard time once because they noticed the cylinders in the back, but they still let me go.

The advice about the TC stamp matters if you're planning to get fills in Canada ... some shops up there won't fill them otherwise ... but almost all cylinders have the stamp anyway.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Great! Thanks to all three of you for your answers, not having to practice the skills with a whole different configuration or find tanks up there will (literally :D ) take a weight off of me.

I havent' checked about the TC markings, but as I don't need them filled I am not going to worry about it.

Thanks again to all,
Orion DM

I have taken my tanks across the border many times - back and forth and I have NEVER had any issues. I would be very surprised if you have tanks that can't be filled here in Canada.
Most shops here have aluminum 80's. I've never seen such a wide variety as when I dive in Seattle!
As far as the ferries go (not that you need one) they actually rate scuba tanks as "hazardous goods". You can either keep them covered, or fill out the paperwork. The story I've heard is that they like to know WHERE they are on the car decks and sometimes this can help you get on sooner, and sometimes later. We travel to the island quite often, and only do the paperwork if we have a class or large group.
Good luck on your IE!

scubandrea:
I have taken my tanks across the border many times - back and forth and I have NEVER had any issues. I would be very surprised if you have tanks that can't be filled here in Canada.
Most shops here have aluminum 80's. I've never seen such a wide variety as when I dive in Seattle!
As far as the ferries go (not that you need one) they actually rate scuba tanks as "hazardous goods". You can either keep them covered, or fill out the paperwork. The story I've heard is that they like to know WHERE they are on the car decks and sometimes this can help you get on sooner, and sometimes later. We travel to the island quite often, and only do the paperwork if we have a class or large group.
Good luck on your IE!

Crossing the border? No probelms, issues or concerns.
Traveling on the Ferries? Yes, it is a requirement to "self-declare" scuba tanks when you are traveling on BC ferries (even though they don't have the regs posted anywhere)!
Best Advice? Call the diveshop you will be getting airfills from to inquire about both tank fills and/or rentals. Some BC diveshops will not fill the older 6351 tanks, just like some US diveshops. So check your tanks, look at the "born-on date" and manufacturer
and then make a phone call. Honest, they do speak English in BC, well ok maybe it's a different form of English..... give them a call.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom