Taking stock of my old regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hope I'm asking this in the correct forum as this is my very 1st post on scubaboard.
I've had my Conshelf SE2 for many years and have enjoyed using it, mostly while on vacation all over the world.
I ran into a problem a few years ago where the yoke did not fit over the neck of the rental tank. I have seen some tanks that were a little "bulbus" toward the top, but most have always been a straight "traditional" tank valve. I was told that I should be able to unscrew the entire yoke and put a new one on. I assume similar to converting to a DIN style, only this would be old yoke to new yoke. (it is no "yoke" when it doesn't fit :) Has anyone run into this problem before and if so, what was the resolution ?

Hope I'm asking this in the correct forum as this is my very 1st post on scubaboard.
I've had my Conshelf SE2 for many years and have enjoyed using it, mostly while on vacation all over the world.
I ran into a problem a few years ago where the yoke did not fit over the neck of the rental tank. I have seen some tanks that were a little "bulbus" toward the top, but most have always been a straight "traditional" tank valve. I was told that I should be able to unscrew the entire yoke and put a new one on. I assume similar to converting to a DIN style, only this would be old yoke to new yoke. (it is no "yoke" when it doesn't fit :) Has anyone run into this problem before and if so, what was the resolution ?

Yes, we have run into it several times and the solution is probably a lot easier than you think.

Assuming that you have the same yoke as all the other (modern) Conshelfs including the standard yoke that came with the Conshelf SE2, you will notice that the inside of the yoke is tapered. All you have to do is just unscrew the yoke a few turns and you will see that it will fit the valve.

The yoke in the Conshelf is threaded and it has a retainer ring that prevents you from accidentally unscrewing it all the way. You can unscrew as far as that retainer ring without affecting anything including its load capacity. But, by unscrewing it you are moving the narrow portion of the yoke back away from the regulator sealing surface. That has always been enough to fit the regulator on every valve I have encountered. This includes some very large European convertible DIN valves that I have seen in the Philippines and a few other places.

You can probably still get some other Aqua Lung yoke for it. All the newer yokes also require a yoke retainer nut (the newer yokes are not threaded). But to be honest, I don't think you need to replace that yoke at all. What I am describing has always worked.

You may want to post a picture so that we can verify that you do have the original yoke.

BTW, that snap ring the prevents the yoke to be unscrewed, I normally remove it and leave it off. You don't really needed unless you are careless and don't pay attention to what you are unscrewing.

I've seen a couple of older yokes that don't fit over the DIN200 valve posts, where a yoke insert is used to convert the larger DIN valve to use with a yoke 1st stage. I've got a number of Conshelf 1st stages and also a couple of tanks with that sort of valve. I don't recall seeing that problem, though none are the SE2 sub-model. Before considering replacement of the existing yoke, I'd inspect your reg to make sure it's properly assembled. Is this a model where the yoke threads onto a neck, and then an external circlip is installed to prevent completely unthreading the yoke cage?

Luis H beat me to it - the yoke may just be threaded farther onto the 1st stage neck than necessary.

A new thread would have been better, but in answer to your question, the SE2 yoke is just threaded onto the reg body. The only thing keeping it from unthreading all the way is a circlip. That makes effectively an adjustment on the depth of the yoke. Are you sure it wasn't just threaded tight to the body on that day? I could see the combination of a fat valve and the yoke being threaded tight leading to your issue.
Respectfully
James

Ninja'd by luis!

I've seen a couple of older yokes that don't fit over the DIN200 valve posts, where a yoke insert is used to convert the larger DIN valve to use with a yoke 1st stage. I've got a number of Conshelf 1st stages and also a couple of tanks with that sort of valve. I don't recall seeing that problem, though none are the SE2 sub-model. Before considering replacement of the existing yoke, I'd inspect your reg to make sure it's properly assembled. Is this a model where the yoke threads onto a neck, and then an external circlip is installed to prevent completely unthreading the yoke cage?

Luis H beat me to it - the yoke may just be threaded farther onto the 1st stage neck than necessary.

It could be very helpful if you could you post a picture of a Conshelf with one of those large valves. I don't own any of those valves or I would.

I ask, because this question has come up before.

Thanks

I agree with @James79, this would have been a good thread on its own. Maybe a moderator could split this as a new thread referring to the Conshelf yokes and large convertible valves.
Thanks

I'll post a pic when next I'm able. Everything is in storage at the moment. There must be others who also have such setups at hand. Offhand I don't recall the model(s) of convertible valves I have either. I do recall at times having to back off a Conshelf yoke a bit to make an easier fit over a valve post.

Ok - to start, you are all awesome. I think my yoke has been threaded all the way on since I purchased it years ago and never even tried to loosen it.
I just did and looks like as you all indicate, it would make the problem go away. I've attached a pic just the same.
Appreciate the help !

Attachments

• SE2.jpg
    SE2.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 83
Yes, you are all set with that yoke. In that configuration, that will fit every valve that I have seen.

Have fun diving it.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom