Taking GPS coordinates of a site... captain's permission?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anyone elaborate on this? It makes me curious. I can't find any device that detects a GPS unit. And if they did it would detect a lot of devices, like everyone's phone and smart pad on board.

A gps is a receiver. As far as I know these are not detectable.

Buy a small gps tracker put it in a bag outside on deck turned on before departure. You have your coordinates without discussion when you get back . No one will be the wiser.

Verstuurd van mijn HTC Desire HD A9191 met Tapatalk

I was once on a boat in which i logged the lat lon of the dive. Before i got the info recorded a crewmember said they had detected a gps on board and who had it. They felt that the dive sites were known to them and the crew. I obliged them but wondered what they detected the gps with. i assumed at the time it was done the same way the cops know you have a radar det. The IF freq. but idid not ask. It just surprized me that there are some people that are that touchy with thier locations. I would understand if it were fishing locations but a barge location???????? Come on.

They were just making that up, a GPS is a receiver there is nothing to detect.

+1 they probably saw him and made up the detection part to keep people guessing.

This guys going to disappear one night by a mysterious visit from the dive mafia.

Treasure Dive Sites

Looks like about 2000 coordinates of dives sites of spanish gallions, gold treasure sites, fossils etc...

This guys going to disappear one night by a mysterious visit from the dive mafia.

Treasure Dive Sites

Looks like about 2000 coordinates of dives sites of spanish gallions, gold treasure sites, fossils etc...

And, as Ive already posted several times - published numbers are notoriouslu WRONG.....

Sure - some numbers are well known by everyone. But I assure you, once again - go buy a few books and charts - then a boat, then fuel it up - and run to those sets of numbers.....you will be shocked at how many times there is NOTHING there.

I have used charts to find numbers of well known wrecks only to get there and search on the sounder for HOURS and HOURS before unltimately finding the wreck 1+ miles away from where it was supposed to be.

Books, magazines, websites, nautical charts, etc...........most of it is wrong or not close enough to make a difference.

And, once again - this is not new. It is the SAME concept in the charter fishing industry.

---------- Post added January 8th, 2013 at 04:10 AM ----------

All that is true, but the reality is it just comes down to whining. With GPS in so many devices now you cannot base your business on keeping sites secret. I sympathize with them, but that makes it no less feudal. It only takes one person to betray the trust and the numbers are posted on the Internet. A very tough business has gotten even harder.

Its ont whiningl Its setting hte expectation about what is and what is not acceptable on their boat.

Phone GPS is only accurate when it has cell coverage as well - which immediatley limits the scope of that info.......and plus you have a certain percentage of people that understand this and wont try to "steal" the numbers. There is no clear cut solution....but setting the tone is the appropriate first step.

---------- Post added January 8th, 2013 at 04:16 AM ----------

Great, so pick a number that you're comfortable with and let's insert it in the question. Would you like to use 10 miles, 5, 2, you pick it.

If these coordinates are so valuable and "proprietary" there must be an immense amount of on going competition to follow them to these sites and reap the tremendous value of the locations.

If anybody builds an entire business around a 'secret' location that is fully visible from miles around and they visit it repeatedly, LOL, obviously them there are some smart cookies. Then their scheme to protect it's secret location is to try to stop someone from recording the location on a piece of technology that they could put in their pocket and push a button to record it, go to the head and privately record it or any other manner... that's a smart business plan right there.

The closest thing I would associate this with would be a gold claim. That would be a great method of protecting a gold mine -- have no legal rights to it, and take people to visit it on a daily basis. Might be smarter to file a claim and file the paperwork on these dives sites... oh, yeah, duh! You can't do that. So the business plan is to throw a GPS over board.

YES there is. Go talk to a charter boat captain. They get followed, watched, radar marked, etc all the time. There is intense competition. I used to think the captains wdere a little paranoid - but the more time I have spent at marinas over the years - and the storiesI have heard about what happens - Ive learned that the paranoia is justified.

Even today - the wrecks that are "discovered" - we always hear people laugh and say "Ive been diving that for years", or "we fished that hang in the 70's". The difference is how well the secret is kept.

Secrets never keep forever.

At the end of the day - all these guys are doing is protecting their information and making it harder for others to mark the spot. If someone "REALLY" wants to know the spot - sure - they will find it. But the harder it is, the less likely it is to get taken.

Little known secret - thats why some of the BEST dive and fishing charters are better DURING THE WEEK - when the captain is more likely to go to their favorite spot - since there is less boat traffic than on the weekend. Less chance of others seeing where he is.

I have no idea what was being claimed. I knew that a radar detector could be senced by the IF freq, just like the am radio and the 450 kh IF freq. i assumed that the sat sig was mixed / demodulated and then processed.

Phone GPS is only accurate when it has cell coverage as well - which immediatley limits the scope of that info.

Not really true. Without cell/data coverage, you can't take advantage of AGPS, but your smartphone still has true GPS. The only real downside is that it make take several minutes to lock on and receive the signal, almanac and ephemeris data directly from the visible satellites needed to track them (as any standalone GPS unit would need). But you'll still get 1-10m accuracy with your smartphone in the middle of the Atlantic.

If you were aboard my vessel, and used a gps after I made it clear no such device was allowed, I would toss it in the ocean and you would never again board my vessel. I make that clear in advance to all passengers on the few occasions when it is appropriate.

And I would have you arrested for assault and theft. ANYONE touches me or my sh** is in for a world of hurt. For any reason.

Every dive trip I go on I activate an application called BBTracker on my Blackberry and this sits inside my dry bag in the cabin.
This logs position, course, height and speed from the GPS chip every 5 seconds. The data file is then exported in KML format which can be read in to Google Earth on my PC.
I then use a print of the screenshot as the first photo in the corresponding photo album.

With Google Earth, you can zoom in on many sites worldwide, including getting a 2D view of the reef/wreck under the surface. Move your cursor over the spot you wish to anchor and write down the coordinates. There is no need to give the Captain the impression you are "stealing" his numbers.

I would like to see you find and tie into many a wrecks with Google Earth...

---------- Post added January 8th, 2013 at 07:26 AM ----------

btw... your site is fantastic! Wreckreational Diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom