Taking apart a Scubapro MK5 - what tools do I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jellycatsdad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m taking apart one of these to better understand how regulators work - even though the regs I dive with are diaphragm it still worth it. From my reading here and over the internet, I need a Scubapro multitool, or the appropriate pin spanner to remove/replace the HP chamber plug, an O-ring bullet tool to install new o-rings and maybe a HP seat tool. Do I need anything else? I’m thinking about getting the aluminum version of the Scuba Tools/Peter Built tools multitool.

I serviced them for years without any specific tools. for removong the HP seats, i used a plier designed for opening seeger rings.
img794_hr.jpg
For unscrewing the body of the reg, I used a tool originally designed for adjusting the spring load of the shock absorber of my motorbike.
H9b414926640e430786aff2eb39e88a49g.jpg

or one of these Park Tool SPA-2 Red Freewheel Ring Pin Spanner [SPA-2]

and a 15" crescent wrench. Which will make some of these guys cringe, but it works.
I took the yoke bolt and filter off using a vise and a bike CO2 cartridge screwed into the HP port. Nicked one of the wrench flats - but it came off with little effort.

Can you get one of those spanners Dr. Farina showed in his second picture? Me being me, I used one of the "one size fits all" spanners and made a mess of things.

A good tool or seven makes it fun, instead of frustrating. Thanks for being a good sport.

In that particular case, a CO2 cartridge is pure Vance Harlow. Nothing wrong with that. A cheap 7/16" fine thread bolt is even better, as long as you drop by an auto shop and ask them to throw a die on it and de-burr the threads. Two minutes work.

It's that yoke removal tool that gets you into trouble. Going low tech? Grab a BIG wrench like @boat sju said. One whose jaws reach all the way across the flats. But yes, there's a $40 specialty tool for every function that makes things easier, at a price.

That bicycle castle nut spanner is a great inexpensive alternative to a hook spanner. If the diameter is too large, pad the heel.

But the one critical tool you'll need is a $2.75 double hook pick to remove the HP piston shaft o-ring without scoring the land. The standard shop tech technique of spearing it and prying it out is an invitation to a perfect repair, except that the ambient chamber holes now bubble lightly, because that HP o-ring land is now scratched. Scubatools or Piranha.
Two dowels, one 1/4", one thin, to put the o-ring back in.

Carve a piston bullet from a 1/4" dowel with your pen knife.

Angelo's right angle pin pliers, or a small pin face spanner from Scubatools.com.

An air gun or this trick
Post MK10 Rebuilding Mods and Best Practices
to get out the HP seat.

A plastic dental toothpick to lift out orings.

You'll need to get creative to remove and replace that turret bolt. A friend who will grind the chamfer off an 11/16" deep socket, and grind the outside wall until it slips into the gap between the cap and the bolt head.
20240328_151532.jpg

But remember, that turret bolt is only 35 in-lb of torque on reattachment, if it's brass. Easy to break, impossible to replace now that VDH has closed after Bruce's death.

You're all set without breaking the bank.

Back
Top Bottom