Taking advanced open water. Need Primary Light. Thoughts on Hollis 3x3 led Torch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I hear, the DRIS 1000 lumen light is basically unbeatable in its class.

I am curious which CREE led the DRIS light is using? Do these light have an automatic dimming function in them to get 5 hrs of burn time?

My Hollis LED 5 has a very tight beam, for clear water it's too tight, but for murky water it's perfect.

I dive the DRIS 1000 and the TrustFire TR-J1. They both have an XM-L T6 LED. The differences are in driver, battery and reflector. I'm happy with both lights and JamesR has seen both of them in the water during our dive together. I seem to recall him saying that he thought the DRIS put out a pretty good punch at the end of the dive.

I've done with people using 10 and 12 watt canisters and I don't see the difference. I would say though that after about an hour of diving my lights do start to get a little weaker. Clearly they are for rec diving.

For the DRIS 1000 I use 6 rechargable NiMH batteries. I use three on the first dive and three on the second dive then recharge when I get home. I also run my TrustFire at the same time and bring two rechargable batteries for it. One per dive. I figure the LED's should last for ever so if I'm going to bring it I might as well get the extra light and have the other one already hot in case one of them fails.

Paid something like $60 for the DRIS ( originally ordered the 500 and got upgraded at no cost ) plus $15 for batteries and and $45 for the TrustFire with 2 rechargable LiIon batteries and charger.

Reactions: Jax
I was pretty impressed with chrpai's DRIS light. It's really nice, bright, feels solidly made. Definitely seems like a great choice.

I have a Dorcy Dive II 220 Lumen Submersible LED Dive Light and it works quite well. I compared it with a buddies DRIS 1000 and they were pretty similar. Obviously the DRIS one is going to be brighter, but the differences were small. Personally, I thought the DRIS 1000 was a bit large and bulky where as the Dorcy was nice and small but either way you go, they are both excellent lights.

Yes. That Texas Sex Knot (read: all f--d up) you have going on is not the ticket.

All kidding aside it'll probably hold just fine, but I would re-tie that like this page instructs: How to Attach a Snap - Dive Gear Express

Funny thing is.... That's the very page I had up when I tried to tie those knots.

What can I say? I was a Marine not a sailor or boy scout. I am illiterate when it comes to knot tying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom