Taking advanced open water. Need Primary Light. Thoughts on Hollis 3x3 led Torch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

00wabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am taking advanced open water this month and I need to get a primary light for the course and for my future night diving adventures. Currently the only light I have is a Princeton tec Impact XL tucked into my very small BC pocket for emergencies and looking under crevices etc.

Originally I was looking at getting the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED light because it seems economical and adequate: Princeton Tec, NEW 400 Lumens Shockwave LED Dive Light
I don't want to spend more than $120 or so but I see that leisure pro has this Hollis 3x3 led torch on closeout. Hollis 3x3 LED Torch Light

What are your thoughts on this light. I like that it's aluminum and has a magnetic switch. It seems like it might last me longer. Eventually it could become a back up light if/when I move to a canister light set up.

For a fantastic light at a super low price checkout Diverightinscuba's 1000 light. At $89 it outshines just about anything in its class.

Reactions: Jax
Wide beam or narrow beam really depend on the kind of water you dive it. Murky water, the hot spot is the narrower the better. Clear water, a bit wider beam is OK. What is good about Hollis LED5 is while its hot spot is very tight, it also produce very useful, graudally dimming side spill.

Over all, I think Hollis LED5 is a much better light than UK C8 piston light. But I think DRIS100 is a better light for less money. DRIS light has a little wider beam than Hollis LED5 too.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom