Taking a multi-day trip to the Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a goofy ritual for us to hum the first bar, which is written on the sign on I-75, every time we cross the Suwannee on our road trips down to the springs. (Once there, we cross the Suwannee so many times back and forth to the dive sites that we don't think about it.)

I mostly scream "Keep paddling... I hear banjos!"

We were thinking of getting an Airbnb in the Gainsville area as it seems fairly central.
That's what we did earlier this year. It has all the food and conveniences and makes for an easy drive to many of the springs. Here's the dive days that my buddy and I did:

Day 1 - DD and BG

Day 2 - Ginnie Ballroom

Day 3 - Ginnie Spring System

Since you identified the other ones.. foreground is a Yellow Crowned Night Heron, the all white one is a White Ibis. The Ibis is the mascot for the University of Miami Hurricanes.

Chen, there are a LOT of places near and south of you that offer fantastic wildlife (mostly birds) viewing..
The most fantastic wildlife spot we've seen 2 weeks ago was in the WalMart parking lot on the way from Dania Beach. There were 50+ White Ibises resting there right next to the cars.

I had the good fortune to spend the fifth grade here in Lynchburg with a teacher whose passion was music, and although I don’t remember much academic input, I still remember snatches of “Carry me back to Old Virginnie”, “Fifteen years on the Erie Canal”, “Oh Shenandoah”, “My old Kentucky Home” and “Suwannee“. That was a simpler time in my life!
🐸
PS I also remember the Mexican Hat Dance and the Virginia Reel. 😉

I grew up in Michigan and learned the song in elementary school!View attachment 806632
Fun fact: Foster never saw the river.
Fun fact #2: There are two native American names for it. The Guasaca (River of Reeds) and Sawani (Broken Black Water).
Fun fact #3: There are over 300 documented springs in the Suwannee River Water Management District.
Fun fact #4: THIS IS CAVE COUNTRY! Unless you're properly trained, equipped, and with the right attitude, caves will kill you. I'm not joking. That incredibly clear water will silt out in a heartbeat and you will die.
Fun fact #5: This is my home. I love it here. I always have.

1697810712850.png

Yes, the FL caves are awesome to dive. I love Peacock (forget which number the main Peacock entrance is).

but it doesn't ring a bell
There are no bells in the song! :D :D :D
I mostly scream "Keep paddling... I hear banjos!"
Wrong river! The Chatooga up in NE Georgia was the actual river and it's a good paddle. I've also paddled the entire Suwannee twice from the Okefenoke Swamp to Cedar Key, and other parts many times.
Yes, the FL caves are awesome to dive. I love Peacock (forget which number the main Peacock entrance is).
Peacock is my favorite! I live 20 minutes from there.

It took me a bit to find this, but this is my all time favorite raptor pic. Red Shoulder Hawk by the main basin in Itchetucknee Springs. Yes, I was close enough to touch him and this was taken with my phone.

1697817579550.jpeg

1697817654327.jpeg

1697817710716.jpeg

1697817749434.jpeg

Peacock Springs. P1 has been closed due to damage caused by the recent hurricane. The unmade access roads are very soft sand; guess this was due to lots of rain/wind? Loads of trees down.

Orange Grove is open. Again, lots of trees down around there.

Can do the Grand Traverse from Orange Grove to P1, but you have to swim back underground: the Double Grand Traverse of circa 10,000 feet. Lovely!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom