Taking a multi-day trip to the Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did something similar over Thanksgiving in 2019. Our family had a blast. We stayed in one of the trailers at Blue Grotto. This was the itinerary:

Fly to Gainesville on Wednesday morning, rent tanks and weights at Blue Grotto, dive Devil's Den in the afternoon.
Thursday (Thanksgiving) -- dive at Blue Grotto. Morning dive had the place all to ourselves. Did a swing down through the bottom and back up on the first dive, then did a short second dive to use up the rest of that air spending quality time with and feeding Virgil the Turtle. Did a third dive down through the bottom again in the afternoon. (Based on posts here, there is now a grim reaper sign and the line has been removed for the "cave" part of the bottom of the site. Personally, I think that's a bit much, but I am guessing their insurance company made them do it.)
Friday -- dove Paradise Springs near Ocala. (That one you want to make contact in advance.) We were the only ones there. Lots of fun.
Would you recommend Paradise Springs over Alexander Springs?

I would definitely recommend Paradise over Alexander (but, I am not a fan of Alexander). There’s a pretty good map of the OW-friendly springs here.

My favorites for open water, in order (and I’m out at the springs 2-3x/week):

1. Buford (most fav)
2. Ginnie
3. Paradise
4. Devil’s Den
5. Orange Grove
6. Catfish Hotel/Manatee
7. Blue Grotto
8. Royal
9. Rainbow River
10. Troy
11. Fanning
12. Alexander (least fav)

Avoid Ginnie on the weekend, and go early during the week. I prefer the state parks for weekend diving; DD, BG, & Paradise have much better vis during the week when classes aren’t around and there are fewer divers in the water. If you go to Buford, you need to get a permit first (easy, it’s all automated online) and bring a cart. If you do Rainbow River during the week, call ahead to make sure the water taxi is available. Paradise is closed on Mon & Tues. Otherwise, no reservations required.

If you’re in the High Springs area, Cave Country & Extreme Exposure do quick generous air/nitrox fills. Check out Amigos if you have some time to kill and tanks that need filled - it’s an experience! Devil’s Den and Blue Grotto do fills on site (but are more expensive).

I see in your itinerary you plan to do DD & BG on the same day - that’s a great plan. I’d do BG first (much deeper, DD bottoms out around 50’). Devil’s Den, Blue Grotto, and Ginnie all have hot showers - much appreciated after several days of cool water! Bring soap & shampoo and you won’t have to shower again in the evening.

Most of all, have fun! I love the springs - and bring that camera, esp at Ginnie. I’m also mostly macro but the gin-clear water makes for awesome wide-angle shots.

Attachments

• P1010048.jpeg
    P1010048.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 50
  • P9100296.jpeg
    P9100296.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 51
  • P5150074.jpeg
    P5150074.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 40
  • P1010542.jpeg
    P1010542.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 39
  • P4170206.jpeg
    P4170206.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 49

1. Buford (most fav)
2. Ginnie
3. Paradise
4. Devil’s Den
5. Orange Grove
6. Catfish Hotel/Manatee
7. Blue Grotto
8. Royal
9. Rainbow River
10. Troy
11. Fanning
That's an excellent list !! When you mark all of them on a map you'll see there is some short & longer distances between several sites. It's takes alot of time to break down and set up gear. Kinda like saying you can dive BHB in the morning and then rush to get on a Jupiter afternoon boat. Sure it can be done and they look so close on a map,,,,,but in practice it's a tight race and you don't have time for tank fill before the shop closes in order to dive the next day. Have fun exploring the springs!!

Would you go to Troy or Blue Spring over one of the other spots I've mentioned?
Blue Spring and Alexander can easily be done in the same day. When in Alexander, it's easy to miss the underwater canopy by the shore opposite of where you come in. All the life hides in there when the humans invade the spring. Also, the eel grass around the spring is amazingly full of exotic aquarium fish.

At Blue Spring, look for the "cereal bowls" in the ledges. See if you can figure out how they were made. The geology is amazing. During your safety stop, look for "sea buttons". They're tiny fossil sand dollars, but please don't take them. Removing anything like that from a state park is a felony. Take your time in the float back down to the swimming area. Lots of life among the fallen trees. Primitive alligator gar are everywhere, as are schools of freshwater mullet. You should be able to see flounder and blue crabs as well as the ubiquitous bream and largemouth bass. If you take a walk down to the Saint Johns, you can see a number of gators in the spring run. Ain't nuthin' greater, than a Gator! :D

Troy can be added to your Ginnie day. It's an hour away, so grab some grub in Branford on your way there. Troy seems to have more turtles than any other spring. The CS Madison requires both wreck diving and trimix certs. It rests at a bone crushing 5 ft of water near the mouth of the spring run. Be careful. :D However, the spring basin is 70ish feet deep.

There is so, so much to see and do in Florida, besides just diving. Deal's Famous Oyster House in Perry Florida is a hoot and Florgia eating at it's finest. Roy's in Steinhatchee is another standout restaurant and the sunsets there are epic!

1697715645138.png

I was born and raised in Cali, I honestly have no idea what you're referring to.

Would you recommend Paradise Springs over Alexander Springs?
No! Paradise is cool, and there are some amazing fossils in there, but Alexander is the prettiest spring in Florida.

It's no secret that I grew up here in Florida, and I love the place. The nature is amazing and it's taken a lifetime and I've still not seen it all. However, bring bug repellant, especially for no-see-ums. Nothing can ruin a fun time quicker than being eaten alive.

OK, my head is spinning with options and not enough time to do them all :). Where we stay and go is completely open. We were thinking of getting an Airbnb in the Gainsville area as it seems fairly central. If someone has a better idea on where to stay, please recommend it.

It seems that Devil's and Blue Grotto are a no brainer. Should we try to knock them out Thursday afternoon or spend the day with multiple dives at the sites on Friday or Saturday? Or just do Devils on Thursday so we have more time to travel around on Fri and Sat?

Saturday is Veteran's Day. How will that impact Ginnie if we tried to go there on Friday to avoid Saturday? I'm assuming banks and govt jobs will be off on Friday, and most people still have to work.

Technically we could do a Sunday morning dive somewhere if we wanted as well.

I appreciate the recommendation on where to get fills. We hadn't really got that far in our planning yet.

I would definitely recommend Paradise over Alexander (but, I am not a fan of Alexander). There’s a pretty good map of the OW-friendly springs here.

1. Buford (most fav)
2. Ginnie
3. Paradise
4. Devil’s Den
5. Orange Grove
6. Catfish Hotel/Manatee
7. Blue Grotto
8. Royal
9. Rainbow River
10. Troy
11. Fanning

Avoid Ginnie on the weekend, and go early during the week. I prefer the state parks for weekend diving; DD, BG, & Paradise have much better vis during the week when classes aren’t around and there are fewer divers in the water. If you go to Buford, you need to get a permit first (easy, it’s all automated online) and bring a cart. If you do Rainbow River during the week, call ahead to make sure the water taxi is available. Paradise is closed on Mon & Tues. Otherwise, no reservations required.

If you’re in the High Springs area, Cave Country & Extreme Exposure do quick generous air/nitrox fills. Check out Amigos if you have some time to kill and tanks that need filled - it’s an experience! Devil’s Den and Blue Grotto do fills on site (but are more expensive).

I see in your itinerary you plan to do DD & BG on the same day - that’s a great plan. I’d do BG first (much deeper, DD bottoms out around 50’). Devil’s Den, Blue Grotto, and Ginnie all have hot showers - much appreciated after several days of cool water! Bring soap & shampoo and you won’t have to shower again in the evening.

Most of all, have fun! I love the springs - and bring that camera, esp at Ginnie. I’m also mostly macro but the gin-clear water makes for awesome wide-angle shots.
I appreciate the ranked list. Is Buford OW safe?

I'm super curious, what are you taking macro photos of in the springs? I have a macro to wide angle adapter and can flip between it and my diopter easily.

To elaborate, Florida is defined by water. We have the most shoreline in the lower 48, and more springs than the rest of all the US combined (over a 1000). We are one of the few states that have both sunset and sunrise over the oceans. Consequently, we have more diving opportunities than any other state. From the Gulf, to the Keys, to the Atlantic, to the rivers and lakes, to the springs and even into the aquifers. There is no way to see or scuba it all in a long weekend, so don't try. Focus on a small area and enjoy what it has to offer. There is no BAD choice. Have fun. Don't try to push it too much. Do check Devil's Den for availability. They've been stupid busy.
Saturday is Veteran's Day. How will that impact Ginnie if we tried to go there on Friday to avoid Saturday? I'm assuming banks and govt jobs will be off on Friday, and most people still have to work.
It's already too cool for most Floridians to go swimming. Only fools and Scuba divers (but I repeat myself) will venture into the waters this late in the year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom