Taking a baby to Puerto Rico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not a problem at all. My son is 4 years old and has been to PR 4 times. He has also been on 4 cruises as well.

There is an epidemic of major proportions in Puerto Rico right now. After much reluctance the island health department declared an emergency epidemic alert for Dengue Fever in October of this year, about 7 weeks ago. The incidence of Dengue is considerably higher than official statistics reveal. Whenever possible officials contrive to have the disease misidentified, especially when there is a fatal outcome. Children, people with compromised immune systems, and the elderly are at higher risk for serious outcomes if they contract the disease. Healthy young people often tend to get sick for a few days, but eventually shake it off. Less fortunate individuals frequently have more serious problems. The disease is spread by misquitos that have been feasting on rat blood. There is no shortage of either creature on that crowded island.

We traveled extensively through-out the tropics with our Daughter through out her childhood. It really depends how easy going the kid is and how patient you parents are. I have been to Puerto Rico many times(on business) and would not hesitate to take a child there.

The following link gives a short synopsis of the Dengue Problem Latin American Herald Tribune - Puerto Rico Authorities Declare Dengue Epidemic

Cheers,
Roger

The point is, I think, that the number of cases of Dengue fever in Puerto Rico is climbing rapidly, and is expected tocontinue to do so. Hence the "Red Alert" based on data collected by the CDC. The article is hardly reassuring. I travel to Puerto Rico frequently. So far this year I've been there 4 times, usually for short periods as an intermediate point when traveling elsewhere, though I stay with friends in the southwestern part of the island for about a week every winter.

I know the island quite well, and when I was in San Juan last month there was significant concern regarding Dengue. Breakbone fever we used to call it when I lived in Jamaica. It's nothing to take lightly. Little kids, for some reason, seem to get bitten by bugs more frequently than adults. People obviously need to make their own decisions about travel with small children, but these should be informed decisions. Statistically, much depends on the length of the stay. In parts of India where really high rates of Dengue exist one health official estimated that spending a year or more there reliably resulted in a 100% infection rate! Puerto Rico is nowhere near that situation, but government officials, always aware of tourism issues, do not issue red alerts lightly.

When I was the parent of a young child, ages ago, I took him with me all over the Caribbean and Central America. I'd get sick on occasion, but he never did. It took a year in Korea with the military to bring him down with a fever that put him in a coma and nearly killed him. He spent months in hospitals recovering. Panama, Nicaragua, Honduras, Colombia, as a small boy, no problem. It's all a crap shoot, in the end. Being overprotective, of yourself or of your kids, is worse than being a trifle reckless at times.

Well I live here in PR. been stationed here for 3 yrs.

1st. There are kids all over the place and more on the way every day. They are not doing bad here. Soot ther are even babies here :wink:
2nd. I have lived all over the world as a kid and adult and PR is not exotic.
3rd. We have food, stores and hospitals. Some are better and some are worse.
4th. I lived in the jungles of Peru and Colombia for many years with Dengey and many other tropical diseases and it is way more safe here than down there and I had my daughter there. Hell she was borne there and grew up her first 8 years and never had a problem. In the hotel room the AC will keep the bugs down and use bug spray and you are OK

Pit is your choice but you will be ok if you bring the baby here. Now if you bring the wife is another choice :wink:.

Hope you have a good trip no matter what you decide. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom