DIR- GUE Take GUE Fundies in a Scubapro Hydros Pro or Dive Rite Transpac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can GUE Fundamentals be taken with a BC like a Scubapro Hydros Pro or a Dive Rite Transpac? I really like adjustable shoulder straps with quick release buckles.

I know the GUE equipment guide mentions a single continuous piece of webbing, but I'm not sure if that's required for Fundamentals or just the Tech & Cave classes.

Can GUE Fundamentals be taken with a BC like a Scubapro Hydros Pro or a Dive Rite Transpac? I really like adjustable shoulder straps with quick release buckles.

I know the GUE equipment guide mentions a single continuous piece of webbing, but I'm not sure if that's required for Fundamentals or just the Tech & Cave classes.

No, the bp/w has to have single continuous webbing at all levels of GUE training, including Fundamentals.

The closest you can get that is instantly adjustable is the Halcyon Infinity which has a Quick Cinch. It meets the requirements for GUE courses.

Having said that, after you try a properly adjusted bp/w without QR's, you may just feel quite comfortable. The trick is to not make the shoulder straps too snug. I switched to the Infinity when it came out 10 years ago and stripped it down over time to the Eclipse. It's very comfortable and easy to get in and out of.

Adjustable buckles and straps just aren’t needed.

it’s counterintuitive. We’re so used to backpacks having adjustable straps. But scuba gear isn’t a backpack. The backplate gets its stability from the crotch strap. Totally different than a backpack.

try it. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

I really like adjustable shoulder straps with quick release buckles.

Hundreds of divers go into GUE-F every year thinking this EXACT same thing. They almost universally leave class wondering why they liked quick releases and buckles so much. If you approach class with an open mind and allow yourself to be properly fitted for your BP/W you'll discover they are not needed.

Yes it's taboo.

Wait to talk with your instructor before you make any equipment purchases or changes. They will put you on the right path. Trust me it will save you a ton of heartache. I was in your same shoes last October making tons of purchases and gear changes before I knew what was required. Spent way more than I had to. That being said a back plate with continuous webbing won't be a bad purchase. Tons of used options to.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom