Taiwan diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

socaldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The wife and I are thinking of going to Taiwan next year for 1 week to do some sightseeing and possibly a day or two of diving (we are thinking of going to Guam for the second week totally for diving). Is there anyone who can give me some insight into dive sites, shore or boat diving recommendations, and water temps for late spring to early summer (may and June).

Any help would be appreciated.

I wonder maybe if you are thinking of going to Thailand instead of Taiwan?

Taiwan is not known for diving, and is located to the East of China, where condition is usually cold and gray. Thailand, in southeast Asia is a tropical destination, with much to enjoy and explore, from majestic temples, to amazing green forrest, and sugary sandy beaches blocking clear blue water... Diving in Thailand is world-class, and more affordable than a lot of places, including Guam.

Do a search on diving in Taiwan, this topic was discussed before in this group, there are some dive site outside of Taiwan, such as Green Island, something you two should consider, I do not know much about shore dive in Taiwan, perhaps someone here can fill me in.

I dunno ... I wasn't a diver when I was in Kenting (the national park on the southern tip of Taiwan) ... but it looked very diveable to me.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thien, I know the difference between Taiwan and Thailand but thanks for your input.

Thanks for the other input also. I have done some research on diving there was hoping to get some first hand knowledge.

maybe i can offer some of my humble opinions here.
Taiwan diving on the main island will not be able to compete with Thailand nor PI nor MY. However, just to ease the craving; we still go out in the northeastern coast of taiwan (1hr drive from taipei) on weekly basis.
If you want superb diving exp. in Taiwan, you will need to head for the outer islands such as Green Island and Orchid Island. Green Island is a bit more commercialized and might be able to provide english speaking dive guide for you if nessesary.
The accomadations are ok but do not expect 5 star quality. were you be able to find a dive shop which has english speaking instructor?

jc928tw:
just to ease the craving; we still go out in the northeastern coast of taiwan (1hr drive from taipei) on weekly basis.

1 hour north eastern of Taipei, I assume you are refere to Kee Long, not sure about the spelling, if so, how's the water condition and visibility during November? I will be back in Taipei sometimes in November for about 1 and half week, after that will heading over to Similian do a few days of liveaboard. Perhaps we can do some shore dive in northern part of Taiwan.

Tommer

Tommer,

I had done one search prior to my post and the only hread that I saw was from 2003.

So, I really was looking for some more updated info, but thanks for your response anyway.

Don't necessarily need an English speaking dive shop as the wife and I both speak Mandarin. We were just curious about the diving conditions and locations in the area. I have viewed websites of local dive shops but wanted first hand knowledge from people on the board if possible.

socaldiver:
The wife and I are thinking of going to Taiwan next year for 1 week to do some sightseeing and possibly a day or two of diving (we are thinking of going to Guam for the second week totally for diving). Is there anyone who can give me some insight into dive sites, shore or boat diving recommendations, and water temps for late spring to early summer (may and June).

Any help would be appreciated.
Never dived Taiwan before but remember reading it somewhere in Asian Diver Magazine. Look here for some info. Hope it helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom