Tailoring a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrew Richardson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
At the risk of being called insane....

I have Oceaner neoprene drysuit. Bought used. Fit is not perfect and replacing it is not in the budget. My problem is that I can't reach forward or upward. It's like there is not enough material under the arms. It is probably that the chest is a bit large for me.

Can I alter this myself? If so, what would I need? Special techniques?

Assume I have to cut the seams, remove or add neoprene (not sure which) and then reseal the seams.

You're insane.

Now that that is out of the way. Are you an expert tailor? asking what would I need? special techniques? leads me to believe not. Making significant alterations to a drysuit (beyond shortening arms or legs) is often a challenge for the factory. I've had customers order a custom suit that didn't come out just right and the factory started a new suit from scratch.

Even assuming you have the tailoring skills to figure out the alterations, Neoprene is harder to work with than cloth and even if you have a sewing machine that will sew it, you'll have a hard time getting it waterproof. DS manufacturers use special machines that don't penetrate all the way thru.

If the current fit is even marginally diveable, then make do for now. If not sell it and chalk it up as a learning experience.

Your best bet may be to contact Superior Divers to get a quote on what they would charge for alterations.

They would most likely charge more than the suit is worth.

You need a special machine to sew neoprene. If it was a trilam it can be done with a semi professional machine. My wife is a very good seamstress and we have modified her suit. But the sewing is only half of it, you will need to invest in some tools and materials to seal the seams.

But my wife has been sewing for years and makes wedding dresses and such. I work in aerospace and have experience with adhesives and laminations. So keep that in mind if your trying to do it your self.

I have Oceaner neoprene drysuit. Bought used. Fit is not perfect and replacing it is not in the budget.

Do you have enough money to spend a ton on alterations and THEN replace it? Because that's almost certainly what you're looking at.

From the limited mobility you describe, the suit is a bit too small in the chest and torso. That means you'll need to have material added. There are a small number of companies who can do it safely, but there's no guarantee.

At the risk of sounding grim, remember also that a drysuit that restricts your mobility and range of motion can kill you under the right conditions (roll-offs, valve issues, can't reach your valves, hose failures, entanglements, etc.).

Only you know what you mean when you say "can't reach forward or upward", but under the wrong circumstances that can ruin your entire day.

I suspect you'll be looking at an interesting quote; it can cost around $500 or so to replace a zipper - and that isn't as involved as pulling out seams and recutting neoprene.

By all means get a few quotes, you never know what you'll discover - (Kids, don't try this at home. Leave it to the professionals.)

But have in the back of your mind a 'Plan B' that involves selling this drysuit and trying again with another option. Maneuverability and the ability to stretch and reach in all directions can be pretty important - particularly when you suddenly discover that you're way deep and you have issues that you need to resolve expeditiously.

Regards,

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom