Tachyon XC Micro CAM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceanseleven

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had the privilege of diving the wrecks of the St. Lawrence seaway a couple weekends ago and we stopped into Dive Tech up in Mallorytown, Ontario and I happened upon a small box up near the front counter showing a sportbike rider with a small camera mounted to his helmet. Being to curious SOB that I am I asked what it was doing in such an advanced scuba shop with thousands of dollars in high end video gear on display plus in reading the back of the package it's rated to only 34'. Dan Humble and his staff explained that it has a lock switch in the camera for diving and is good to 100'. I said "shut up! . . . . . . what you talkin' 'bout Willis" but after showing me footage they took with the camera in the very waters and wrecks I was about to dive I was sold. I have to say it does everything it claims. This camera is fantastic! Now, I'll admit that this viewpoint is naive and short sided considering that I've never used a video camera underwater ever but for my first foray into the world of underwater videography I'm psyched! About half the crew we were with said they wanted one as soon as they could get it and my local shop which was up there with me is working on arrangements to get them in the shop as soon as they can.

The camera takes 2 AA Lithium batteries and can accept from 4GB up to 32GB Micro SD card. It's so small I forgot that it was attached to my mask strap and the quality is amazing. I've heard the Go PRO mentioned a lot not only in Scuba but for skiing and Mtn. biking too and I'd love to hear feedback from people with a lot more knowledge in this than myself on their opinion. For the cost, under $200, I'm very excited about my investment. Fire away . . . . . . . . . . .

Tachyon XC Micro

It's rated to 100ft. but I had it to 110ft on the first dive and it worked fine though I wouldn't take it much further than that so I don't think this would work at the 170 - 200ft range.

forgot about this thread. I have since bought it and taken it down to 150 without problems. It was low light and pretty cold so the video and battery life was crap. It was not able to film through the 1hr dive. If i remember it lasted about 15 min in 47degree temps. I just used regular batteries.

It was enough to film my computers at depth to better understand the displays. The the lowlight/low viz diving i normally due, you can not see much with the camera. I am interested to see what it does on vacation.

Jimmy

The instructions that came with mine stated not to use regular batteries, they don't last in cold environments.

LOL, if my camer floods I dont want to loose the expensive batteries!

Nice video oceanseleven. Did you have it mounted on your left side?

Back
Top Bottom