Taba Or Sharm....!?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie to this board, so go easy on me...! :wink:
I'm sure this question may have already been asked, but I couldn't find much info...so here we go:

I'm planning a holiday for September to the Red Sea and I'm not sure where to head.
I've heard that Sharm El Sheikh is good diving but is VERY crowded and doesn't score very highly on the accomodation... (this is just what I've read elsewhere... :11: )
I've also read (somewhere :11: ) that Taba isn't as good for sea life, and isn't as interesting...

So what's the deal - perhaps someone out there has been to both places and could give a comparison?

We're going to be booking this very soon, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Taba is a newly developed place mostly for people who spend their holiday on the beach rather than diving. There are only few hotels and a small town - very close to Israeli boarder. I'm not sure but I think there is only one diving center there in the sea life is really boring!!!!! Taba is also too far away from the most beautiful diving sites - so you can't take a boat to go to Tiram or Ras Mohammed.
So if you are a diver I would advice - forget Taba. Don't like crowded places - which Sharm is - go to Dahab, Mars Salam or something like this.
Mania
PS. BWT - Welcome to the Board

:11:

Sharm's diving sites are by far better than Taba. Uncomparable. At least 10 times better, even more.

If you don't like crowded towns (and Sharm is not Hong Kong yet :wink: ) you can also consider a liveaboard. Yet, popular divesites will be crowded with dozens of boats, other sites you wont see a boat anywhere in the horizon, but you'll be confined to a crowded boat with several other divers :wink:

There are other alternatives as mentioned, but most of them can get "crowded" in season. Forget of the crowds and focus on the dives. After all, you want to spend most of the time underwater, ain't you?

Thanks for the replies so far people!
Following on from other comments I've read, I'm now considering Dahab as well!!

I'm travelling with a non-diving partner :sad: so I'd like to be diving a lot of the time, but spending Interval time by the pool with the missus...!

Not too much to ask is it!?!

Keep the comments coming!

Thanks all.

If you are going with a non - diver then Sharm is better - after all it provides a lot of activities for others. Dahab could end up a bit boring for her - depends what type of person she is...
Mania

Dahab Dahab Dahab.

The Bells to the blue hole is one of the top ten most memorable dives I have ever done and (without blowing my own trumpet) I have done many thousands of dives all over the globe.

Ok, thanks folks, Dahab it is!

Been looking at the Hilton - it looks really nice, and there's a dive centre and also a windsurfing centre at the hotel (I want to try to squeeze some windsurfing in too...!)

can anyone tell me how close the Hilton is to the other big hotels (for the windsurfing centres), such as the Novotel, Swiss Inn and Ganet??

Many thanks everyone! :wink:

Hilton is a bit further then these hotels if I remember well. And it's a bit far from the diving sites. But the hotel itself is beautiful and the windsurfing center is OK. You will see there a lot of windsurfers - hotel's bay is the most popular Sinai windsurfing spot.
Mania

Dahab, I agree!
Bells-Blue Hole is a dive I have done 3 times, and can do it again and agin without tiring. There are also numerous other great sites like the islands, canyon, lighthouse and further away spots like Gabr El Bint which are really beautiful and unspoilt.
There is also plenty to do for the non diver.

Have fun!

GuernseyBoy:
Ok, thanks folks, Dahab it is!

Been looking at the Hilton - it looks really nice, and there's a dive centre and also a windsurfing centre at the hotel (I want to try to squeeze some windsurfing in too...!)

can anyone tell me how close the Hilton is to the other big hotels (for the windsurfing centres), such as the Novotel, Swiss Inn and Ganet??

Many thanks everyone! :wink:
good choice. As much as I can, I will avoid Sharm. Too many people!
Dive Safe!
Paolo

Back
Top Bottom