Taba Heights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi

Going to Taba Heights in December and would just like to know from anyone what innoculations/ vaccinations I should go for.

Thanx

Brian

As the only Taba Heights I know of is in the Red Sea area, I have taken the liberty of moving your post to the appropriate travel forum in the hope that you'll get a better response.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

For Egypt there are no special requirements. You should be up to date with your "normal" shots (tetanus, polio, diphteria) and take Hep A. Typhoid may also be a good idea.
Apart from maybe a slightly upset stomach, you're not likely to encounter any major health problems.

My only suggestion is to drink bottled water. The water at the hotels is probably desalinated but having been sick in Sinai once, I wouldn't want to get sick again.

FYI I went to Sharm 2 weeks ago and had the opportunity to see Taba Heights on the way back to Taba. Be advised that the hotels look very nice but are isolated. Items like bottled water and candy bars should be purchased elsewhere than the hotel.

having stayed in Taba at the Hyatt in July, I can say that if you don't buy your drinks and candy from the Hotel, then you are going to be very thirsty and gagging for sugar!!!

yes, the hotels are lovely ( the Hyatt is a very nice hotel), the diving is easy an there is a house reef with plenty of snorkelling opportunities. No wrecks, and the fish life is OK. Plenty of rays and Turtles and there was talk of a Whale Shark in the area when we there - though we didn't see it.

The area outside of the hotel complex is, well, one big abandoned building site. It was put on hold when all the trouble started again, but now that that is all over, the buildings are starting to come back to life. the roads north of taba are,well, sporty to say the least and there is NO TOWN. So, you eat and drink at the hotel or don't eat or drink at all!

the Dive centre is quite well organised with a couple of hard boats and OK rental gear - jut be aware that the car (rusty old jeep with trailer) is a law-suit waiting to happen and the boats don't go very far.

But all in all, a nice quiet luxery dive spot.

Oh, and remember, drink plenty of ROOM TEMPERATURE WATER - NOT COLD. Cold water causes stomach cramps.

Hope this helps.

Have a look at the foreign office pages for specific information (they have links to health advice...or try nhsdirect), remember Taba is classed as Sinai....not Egypt, mailand Egypt has different innocculation requirements.

Bring rehydration salts and immodium, it may not happen, but if it does, its one thing urinating in a wetsuit but another to ...... you get the picture.

Drink lots of water and be wary of veg that may have been washed in local water. Bring the best sunblock you can (try P20) and aftersun. Most of the diving there is from boats, so if this is an issue for you then bring sea sickness meds with you as you may not be able to get some there.

The above may sound obvious but better hear it twice than not at all.

Hope this helps

Conor

I would not expect anything specific. Although it is in the desert, it is not as bad as you might think. When traveling to Sinai, I never take any vaccinations.

Ari

Back
Top Bottom