T2T forum entrance requirements change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep the posts invisible, thats the entire point of having a private area to openly discuss things.

I think an/dp is fine (as long as we don't get into stoopid deep air discussions), but cavern and intro I think should be left out. Thats a period where divers need really stick to the basics so they don't cack themselves. Apprentice is a little different, as is NAUI's cave 1 (which is kinda like apprentice).

+1

..although I'm not a caver, so have no opinion on ze cave stuff.

All the best, James

1.Allowing Intro to Cave (or equivalent) rather than Full Cave
2.Allowing those certified to deco with two gasses (one of which is 100%) rather than requiring Trimix.
3. Other?

That mostly sounds good to me, but GUE Tech 1 is 1 deco gas (50% or 100%) with 21/35 or 18/35 normoxic trimix down to a max of 180. You don't get two deco gasses until Tech 2 which is hypoxic mix down to 240.

Bit surprised that you had excluded Deep Air certs like Extended Range, but presumably those would now be included if you extend access to AN/DP.

To be honestly, I am not entirely sure that the board really needs a T2T forum in addition to the Technical Diving Specialties Forum, but maybe that is just me. I sometimes thing we have far too many different forums.

I am also for the more inclusive approach. AN/DP for sure, and intro to cave as well. I don't think any harm is likely to come from such people coming in and asking questions--it can sure improve the number of discussions.

One of the problems that you have when you limit such forums to people with full certs is that there is a psychological barrier to cross before asking questions about something you are theoretically already supposed to know. That limits the number of potential topics for discussion.

any chance of some sort of 'junior' membership or 'menteeship' or something? so that an/dp or intro or whatever folks could join & show some responsible posts and thoughtful questions with a time-limited membership maybe? that could be upgraded to 'full' membership or quietly shown the door? i'm just thinking that some shepherding might cut down the noise while upping the energy a bit.

i don't want to be elitist - except that i do. make of *that* what you will! :D

If you want thought provoking questions, it's better to get them from more junior members. If I want to know Rob Neto's opinion on something, I'll pay him for it. That's what he does, he sells training.

This whole elitism thing just doesn't make any sense to me. If I wanted to join a club, I'd do it. The Rotary of Key West is always looking for a few good members, and the entry requirements aren't quite as silly as Grange (yes, I lived for a while in Idaho). I'm not too likely to ask Lamont or Litehedded about DIR, because it doesn't interest me. Not that I have any other feelings about DIR, but it doesn't interest me. Besides, there is a DIR forum for me to ask a question. I do understand having a troll free area, but maybe I'm just confused. Is the T2T forum anything more than a clubhouse?

That mostly sounds good to me, but GUE Tech 1 is 1 deco gas (50% or 100%) with 21/35 or 18/35 normoxic trimix down to a max of 180. You don't get two deco gasses until Tech 2 which is hypoxic mix down to 240.

GUE Tech 1 is down to 170 ft, and GUE Tech 2 is down to 250 ft.

Really... if you open it up, its just going to be less of a gap from the Tech Diving specialties...

Do we need less of a gap? I think not, even the Tech Diving forums aren't exactly packed with threads... not even close.

Do we want less of a gap? I don't.

I think we'd be creating redundancy in a forum... which can be read as clutter.

What we really need is an invite only forum(credentials be damned) that real discussion can happen without worrying about who sees it... :/ This was kinda that, sorta... but still too open to be entirely fruitfall and its apparently open to getting worse.

If you want thought provoking questions, it's better to get them from more junior members.

Like the thought provoking questions in the regular Tech forums???

If I want to know Rob Neto's opinion on something, I'll pay him for it. That's what he does, he sells training.

He's got more to offer than training.

Is the T2T forum anything more than a clubhouse?

I only wish... What we don't need is another SB Tech Forum, CDF, TDS, TTD... cause they already exist.

(Heads back to the pub, where I don't have to be polite to anyone, or use a secret handshake)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom