T1i lense options post girlfriend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the kind words. Getting to the Solomon's is not too hard from LA. LA to Fiji direct on Pacific Air then onward to Honiara ($250 or so for this leg roundtrip). They probably don't run every day but you can have a bit of time in fiji to play. Don't spend too much time in Honiara, there isn't too much to do there.

I have the sigma 10 mm fisheye that I use on my 5D (the old one, not the Mark II) but I think that for me the Tokina has a nicer IQ. In my case it is probably 98% macro to 2% wide angle so I take the 60 and the 100 macro plus a sigma 150 macro plus some add on lenses and some teleadapters. I love the IQ of the 100 but for beginners, I think the 60 makes more sense since you can do some fish portraits with it.

If you are only going to use 1 lens, the Sigma 17-70mm macro is a pretty good compromise. Not as good as the two lenses (Tokina 10-17 and Canon 60 mm macro) that I use most of the time, but a good in between lens that lets you get to 1/2 life size with a diopter and allows you to do great fish portraits. I have mine in the Ikelite housing with their dome port, and I use it for fish portraits and if I'm not sure on a dive whether I want to do macro or wide-angle. It's also a nice topside lens and a good back-up if something happens to my main lenses. You could start out with this one, then get the others when you can afford them. Here's the B&H link:
Sigma | 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro Lens for Can | 669101 | B&H

Mel

Amigos,

The two lenses I would recommend IF (likely more when :) I get another dSLR would be the Tokina 10-17mm and possibly the NEW Sigma 17-70mm lens but with OS (optical stabilization) and slightly faster f-stop range of f2.8 - 4.

For underwater I literally have done complete weeks (no macro shooting) with the Tokina 10-17mm in the smaller Ikelite 6" port if not doing over / under shots. This combo and dual Ikelite DS125 or DS160 / 161 makes great images easy :)

YMMV

David Haas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom