SXSW Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Kevin, when you get to Austin give Robert a call over at Lake Travis Scuba and book a trip on the Giant Stride. Robert and his DMs run a top notch operation and are extremely knowledgeable about all the dive sites and history of Lake Travis and the surrounding areas. I had a chance to go out with them on a couple of dives last year and had an absolute blast.

The only spot I am aware of in the Dallas area is east of the city at Athens Scuba Park. I have never been there so I can't offer an opinion. Here are a couple of links that may help:

Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba
Dive Around Texas 2010

Have a safe trip and enjoy yourself while in Texas!

here is a good resource to see the dive spots between austin and dallas Dive Around Texas 2010 windy point and clear springs scuba park would be the easiest to visit on your trip, but you should realize visibility this time of year is 5-10 feet, and temperatures will hover around 55-57 F. look through old dive reports from 2009 http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/texas-swamp-divers/262057-dive-condition-reports-5.html and 2010 http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/texas-swamp-divers/262057-dive-condition-reports-30.html to get a broader view. honestly, your best bet may be the comal river, unless you want to take the diving for science class taught that weekend in picturesque san marcos! Dive Authorization course : Aquarena Center : Texas State University

Robert, aka Lake Travis Scuba, is your best shot for an easy couple of dive while you are in Austin. He will set you up with quality rental gear so all you have to do is show up at the boat and dive.

The Comal is about an hour south of Austin and by the time you get your gear, do the drive, dive, walk back to your car (the Comal is a drift/river dive), and return your gear, it's a day.

The Aquarena Diving for Science program will give you the most unique dive experience. My preferred local dive, problem is that it takes a lot of time and you are here for SXSW. Also, it is the most expensive option when you factor in the $230 course fee.

Bang for the buck, Robert is your best play.

Robert, aka Lake Travis Scuba, is your best shot for an easy couple of dive while you are in Austin. He will set you up with quality rental gear so all you have to do is show up at the boat and dive.
Bang for the buck, Robert is your best play.

I agree 100%, you will be very happy with Robert.

Back
Top Bottom