Swollen Red Fingers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HD_0027

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know what may be causing this, or does it happen to you?

Every time I dive, I get swollen red fingers for the next couple of days. They also become very sore to the touch, a pain very similar to a bad sun burn. It doesn't really bother me that much, just more of a curiosity. Any thoughts?

Hi HD_0027,

Do you wear gloves while diving?

Are you diving in cold water when this occurs?

When diving do you come in contact with potential irritants that aren't present in your environment at other times?

Do you have any history of circulatory disorder?

Do you have any history inflammatory disease such as arthritis?

Are you otherwise healthy?

Regards,

DocVikingo

Another question... are your fingers the only parts of your body affected?

Hi HD_0027,

Do you wear gloves while diving?

Are you diving in cold water when this occurs?

When diving do you come in contact with potential irritants that aren't present in your environment at other times?

Do you have any history of circulatory disorder?

Do you have any history inflammatory disease such as arthritis?

Are you otherwise healthy?

Regards,

DocVikingo

Another question... are your fingers the only parts of your body affected?

Yes, I dive with the Akona Kevlar Dive gloves.

The water is usually between 75 - 85 degrees.

I am diving the oil rigs in the Gulf, South of Biloxi, MS. So other than handling fish (gripping gills etc.), and the rig legs with assorted life, no there are no irritants.

I am generally a healthy 39 year old, well other than being about 20lbs overweight.
smile_2.gif
No previous circulatory issues. I did once have ulcerative colitis about 12 years ago but nothing from that since.

Yes, only in my fingers, mainly the from the middle knuckle toward the tips. My cuticles will become inflamed as well.

It's just really odd. I went to a dermatologist but he didn't know what to think about it. So I thought I would reach out to see if anyone else has the same experience.

HD,

If all of your fingers are equally affected my guess would be that something, probably a piece of gear, is causing a reduction of blood flow to your hands. After you finish the dive and remove your gear, the circulation is restored which results in mild ischemia/reperfusion injury. Are your wetsuit cuffs too tight? Do you tighten the straps on your dive watch/computer too much?

Before you suit up for your next dive, try the following test (a modified version of the modified Allen test): with your hands at chest level, make a fist with both hands and hold that position for about 30 seconds. Open your hands and watch the palms. If your circulation is normal, they will return to their normal red-pink color within a few seconds. Suit up as you normally would, and perform the same test. If your palms stay pale after you open your fists, a piece of gear is impairing your circulation.

Best regards,
DDM

...mainly from the middle knuckle...

I'm not sure if you were answering DocV's question #5 or DDM's question about involvement of only your fingers. But you yourself may have mentioned a possible answer. This finger joint (proximal interphalangeal or PIP) is known for developing arthritic lesions; e.g. Bouchard's nodes. (The similar Heberden's nodes occur on the last joint; the distal interphalangeal or DIP). Swelling and pain from temperature or pressure changes or overuse wouldn't be unusual. You want to consider consulting with an orthopedist or rheumatologist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom