Swimsuit under Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

https://www.makospearguns.com/Under-Wetsuit-Jammers-p/muwj.htm

MUWJ-2T.jpg

This topic is a perennial favorite on scuba board. If you don't like swim suits and wont consider a swim brief you have three choics, square leg swim suit (mid thigh), jammers (above the knee) or shorter shorts, think running singlet shorts or Speedo Surfrunner (3 inch inseam or so). I have used all options and they should fit your needs. Best place to peruse the suits is at swimoutlet.com. Darker colors/lined square leg and jammer suits are best for modesty's sake. Swimoutlet's house brand, Sporti, is great quality at a price that won't break the bank. Looks like Mako has a similar option.

A pair of compression shorts (e.g., UnderArmour) works fine, as well. They're essentially the same as jammers, but they're lighter-weight and are easier to find. Even the Wal-Mart house brand will work nicely.

The only downside to compression shorts vs. jammers is that the compression shorts are unlined, but a towel 'round the waist will take care of any modesty issues.
Not only that. Jammers and square legs are made of more durable fabrics. My UnderArmour compression shorts are fun to walk or run, but they won't last a day on Hawaiian lava. I'd say pick Baleaf or Srnfean.

I'm a fan of O'Neill Skins shorts. $30-40 at Amazon. They are cut and sewn without a center seam running right through the middle of my important parts. They also holds up well to chlorine.

Why wear anything under your wetsuit.

Yeah, I forgot my swim briefs last weekend and donned my wetsuit in the buff. Didn’t bother me but I didn’t particularly like it, either. It was the first dive in months without a DPV so that’s probably the only reason I didn’t take much notice. Had I dived with the DPV, going Free Willy would’ve been an exercise in mashing grapes.

Anything, or nothing. Form fitting is better than board shorts but it doesn't matter much in my experience. Boxers work fine. There are more meaningful gear choices to agonize over.

Boxers. Just no.

Idiosyncrasy for me I guess.

All the Philippino guys I dive with walk around in boxer underwear. I definitely find that over the line since boxer underwear is intended as, well, underwear. I find that way more socially gauche than all the French guys lounging about the resort restaurant in a t-shirt and their Speedo briefs. Speedo briefs are intended to be swimwear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom