swimming with a DPV rigging and streamline "storage"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phgachoud

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999

TL;DR:​

Where and how do you rig a DPV for swimming so it doesnt bother you and is rigged in a streamline manner?

Background​

Diving with a JJ-CCR, meaning at least 1 S80 bailout, "cold" water (about 9 C), dry suit. Am in Chile, didnt find a good enough DPV teaching available I'd pay for, so learning by doing and documenting on the web, I know I should take a course and there is a big offer in the planet, but not in my zone, so whatever you can share regarding advices are welcome, beyond the basic
  • Adjust your buoyancy with DPV stopped
  • Beware of depth changes implied by DPV
  • Situation awareness and added task loading
  • Dont get to a point you're screwed if your DPV dies...
So... I like diving and swimming, using lately a rental Suex X-JOY7, have about 10 dives with a DPV and feel confortable with it, but probably not the best guy towed by it :)

Any recommendation on websites, docs, videos explaining techniques tips and tricks for those who cant afford a very good DPV instructor?

The main Q still remains, how do you store/rig it if you want to swim, the best place I found so far was clipping on my right D-Ring (Left might be better depending on the context but for me as am in CCR I dont have an important priority of keeping my right side free, and dive solo) the upper bolt snap tied to the DPV nose, and of course letting the tie cord in its place on crouch strap front D-Ring.

You can also add another bolt snap to one of the connection points for the tow cord and use that to clip it off to your waist like a stage tank. I have used a bungee around the hull to route the tow cord and clip it back to itself if not wanting the cord to dangle when the DPV was clipped off. I still think the best way for me is to use the short tow leash on the nose to clip to my rear crotch strap D-ring and let it float behind me. Of course this will all depend on how the weighting of the DPV is. If it is heavy then it will be getting kicked a lot but if it is neutral it will work just fine.

Continue adjusting buoyancy as you change depth by watching your PPO2, loop volume. Then stops will require only small buoyancy changes and you won't experience buoyancy swings.

I weight my dpv to be neutral with the front boltsnap on, so it's slightly positive with it clipped to my rig.
Since I'm in sidemount I find the rear D ring my preferred clipping point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom