swimming through confined space

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Intrepid:
While I've never enjoyed the pleasure of meeting Jackie, I get the sense that she is not 6'1" and 250 lbs. The fact that Jackie didn't have to doff her gear is rather irrelevant to whether you do or not! :)

I recommend you achieve the cleanest profile you can possibly achieve, and keep your rig on.

If you absolutely must remove it, then use a standard BC and a weightbelt - which is tons easier to doff and don than a BP/wing arrangement.
Looks like the standard diameter of a 55g drum is 23"... could be an interesting fit no matter what I wear (might have to confirm 55g drum and not larger). I think I'm going to try and grab an AL40 and mount it without the STA and see what that does for me... I may switch to my rig from last year, but I don't mind donning and doffing the bp/w. I was practicing that the other night. And, I'm comfortable in my bpw, so it would be a last resort.

Doc Intrepid:
Think petite!
:laughing:
Chris

Hoyden:
You are asked to swim through a restriction that simulates some of the restrictions that exist in one the exhibits that NAIB divers maintain.

Is it SOP for these divers to remove their gear to enter the restrictions when maintaining the exhibit?

Cameron

CameronMartz:
Is it SOP for these divers to remove their gear to enter the restrictions when maintaining the exhibit?

Cameron

No - but if no one on your team could fit with their gear on (which I can't imagine since, as far as I know, all of the 10 divers on my team can fit), I guess that would be your only option. This has become way more complicated than it ever needed to... Underwater doff and don is not a big deal - it is a skill that is agreed upon by the majority of recreational and scientific diving organizations - but once again, the task that Chris is asking about does not require you to doff and don - it requires you to swim through a barrel (simulated restriction). You may choose any method that you can manage. The vast majority of divers choose to remove their gear to swim through the restriction. It is possible to swim through without doing this provided you can fit. I made it through wearing a standard singles rig - Halcyon Eclipse with sta and an al 80. I am not particularly small and definitely not thin - I think that I had the advantage of lots of time in my rig and the feeling that I hadn't done particularly well on the test so I might as well go for it. Anyway, as I said above, I don't think that this is the forum for this question.

Jackie

Oh yes, I'm well aware that it is taught as a confidence builder and for problem solving. Been there, done that. However, it doesn't mean it's not a risky practice. If it wasn't risky, PADI would let the skill be done in the OW dives. Guess what, it's not done there. I wonder why?

I have never seen a need to remove my rig under water. Between my surface checks, my team and siutational awareness under water, I have never encountered a need to doff my gear. Also, if I don't fit, I don't belong there. I realize there are other types of diving such as sidemount and no mount, but not that many people engage in those type of dives. I also think it safe to say most people have no business doing those types of dives.

And just to offend all the acquarium divers (just kidding), I really don't think most people diving in aquariums should be removing their gear. Most just don't have the skills to do it safely. Sorry if that offends some, but IMO, it's the truth.

Having divers simulate swimming through a restriction while not removing there gear is ok, but then again, that depends on the restriction. How close are the divers getting into what amounts to an overhead environment. If it compares to what a wreck or cave course requires, I would probably have a problem if they didn;t have the training.

Hoyden:
Underwater doff and don is a basic skill that should be included in all open water classes both as a test of underwater comfort and as a basic skill that may be required in underwater problem solving. In this instance, you are not required or asked to remove your gear. You are asked to swim through a restriction that simulates some of the restrictions that exist in one the exhibits that NAIB divers maintain. There is a seperate section of the in-water skills test that includes mask, fin, and weight belt removal and replacement underwater. Underwater removal and replacement of the scuba system is a basic skill included in RSTC standards (PADI, SSI, SDI, PDIC, YMCA Scuba, and IDEA in the US), NOAA diving standards (adds underwater fin removal and replacement) and every scientific diver program I have seen. Since this is the DIR section, we should reference the GUE Open water curriculm, but as one has not been officially published...

You really can't imagine any situation where removing some or all of your gear underwater would be useful?

Jackie

That I can agree with.

Hoyden:
Anyway, as I said above, I don't think that this is the forum for this question.

Jackie

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom